addin liquid soap & labeling for selling

katshe

How do you all label you M&P soaps if you are adding liquid soap for added bubbles? Not quite sure how to do this.

Of all the bases i've tried in order to get a base that is natural... it seems that the lather is nice but bubbles are few so adding a bit of dr bronners liquid soap helps but then I need to add a bit of CB or another oil to make up for a bit of the dryness.

I am I think going with NG's Natural cocoa butter base ...has the best bubbles and is not drying ...I still feel the need to add a bit of dr bronners liquid castile to it though.

When I was using Dr. Bronners I used the scent free castile. I didn't have any problems personally with the ingredients because the soap itself is simple and certified organic. But it did create a problem adding the ingredients on the label and yes I did list all the ingredients.

Used it only for a short while as I went back to my tried and true bases from C&S that have a ton of lather and bubbles. There was just something about adding soap to my soapmaking to make lather & bubbles that bothered me a lot. Plus, its just never as good as a great M&P base. JMO

Candybee...I did check out the bases at C&S but they contain sls and that is not an ingredient I can have in my soaps...I have a few customers allergic to this ingredient, my husband being one of them. The SLS is where you get the bubbles from.

yes adding things to melt and pour is getting me down. I just want a base that is Natural that performs like my cphp..

The other reason I was asking about labeling is because i made a product with m&p and liquid soap and some other ingredients that turned out really good and I may start selling if I can get this labeling right. :)

Edited by katshe

The SLS in the base doesn't bother me as its only added at a fraction to the base and is perfectly safe. Plus I am sick of so called 'natural' bases that are too soft, drying, and lack the lather to be a good soap. Out of all of the bases I have tried I am sticking with mine as I get great soap out of it and my customers love it.

I label my soaps listing all the ingredients so that customers can decide whether they have any allergies to them. Remember, you can have an all 'natural' base and still have customers that are allergic to the coconut oil in the base. Also, I wouldn't even consider not listing the ingredients from the liquid soap if it is part of my soapmaking.

Ok, just wondering how .....like in what order to list ingredients.

The main reason i even started making soap is my husbands violent itching reaction to store bought soap...since I have been doing cphp he has no itching issues and many of my customers.

I thought i'd get into melt and pour cause it seems less hassel without the issue of lye and curing time etc.

I think its great that you are making CPHP soap. Does your husband like it? With cp soap making you control what is in your soap so I would at least make that for you and your family.

As far as making M&P it is simpler, more versatile, and ready to use and sell as soon as its unmolded so selling it has its pros. The cons are you have no control over what is in the base. That is why I always caution to test out several bases from different suppliers to find one you like.

Have you tried the SFIC bases? A lot of people prefer this because it is sulphate free and the ingredients are natural. The downside is its soft and loses lather once you start including additives. I've read many complaints that the SFIC bases are drying to the skin. Seems to me that this is an easy fix by the addition of oils and butters. You could add Dr. Bronners liquid organic castile soap to the base to make more lather if you are using added butters & oils to your base.

Does the company you buy the base from indicate percentages for labeling? I know when I was researching bases, I saw at WSP that things listed at 3% went after the second to last ingrediant (of their natural white base). So depending on how much you are using, you would put it ofter that ingredient in the order listed on the bottle.

If it doesn't, could you contact the supplier to find out? I think that would be your best option to make sure it is labeled correctly.

According to the FDA labeling law, order doesn't matter for ingrediants not exceeding 1% (as long as i'm reading that correctly), so don't know if how much your adding to your base would make any of the ingredients in the liquid soap over 1% mark, but at least you have the order in the liquid soap to help you out in case it does, so I would keep it in that order to be safe. :)

Here is the link to the FDA labeling site if you want to read it too.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/ucm126444.htm

Its my understanding that in the US you are not required by law to list the ingredients in handmade soap. I see many soapmakers at craft shows that do not list theirs. On the other hand if you claim your soap is medicinal or therapeutic in any way then you are required to disclose ingredients and I think get certification as to medical benefits claimed. I'm certain large manufacturers; proctor & gamble, etc. are governed by different laws than the average handmade soap crafter.

The reason I list mine is because of customers with allergies. I have had people in my booth say they can't use anything with coconut or shea butter in it because they are allergic. All my soaps contain these 2 ingredients. I would hate for someone to have an allergic reaction to my soap by not listing the ingredients just so I could make a buck or two.

Candybee, Husband loves cp soaps and he has been my tester the last couple of weeks with the m&p but I have only let him test the ones that have passed my usage test first as far as the burning feeling from some bases.

I have tried Sfic, wsp, stephensons and Ng's ...I ordered EBC natural base so not tested that yet.

Yes Sfic is very drying.

NG's natural bases are not soft and do have a nice creamy lather...the cocoa butter one is has the best bubbleage although they are all very close.

Without giving out my recipe for my NEW product ...the m&p and liquid castile are way above 1%. I will check with the supplier as far as % of their ingredients.

Receccajo99 thanks for the link...will read that today.

The reason I list mine is because of customers with allergies. I have had people in my booth say they can't use anything with coconut or shea butter in it because they are allergic. All my soaps contain these 2 ingredients. I would hate for someone to have an allergic reaction to my soap by not listing the ingredients just so I could make a buck or two.

I agree 100% with listing ingredients and I am really getting the feeling that I may give up my search for a good natural M&P as some of the ingredients I am not familiar with and I feel like offering a natural product should have simpler ingredients than some of the M&P 's i have tried. Like what is sodium myristate?

I agree 100% with listing ingredients and I am really getting the feeling that I may give up my search for a good natural M&P as some of the ingredients I am not familiar with and I feel like offering a natural product should have simpler ingredients than some of the M&P 's i have tried. Like what is sodium myristate?

I agree also katshe. I've been wanting to make soap from scratch for a while, but didn't want the lye in the house while my kids are little and I didn't have a workroom that I could lock them out of. NOw that I have my workroom, I have been doing a lot of research. When I see soap at shows and it only has 3 to 6 ingrediants listed it just looks a lot more appealing.

I love my soap recipe that I have for my M&P, but I just want that feeling I actually created the soap myself too.

I hope that makes sense as I feel like I'm rambling a little and can't get my words out on the page:)

Rebeccajo99, I so get what you are feeling. I am almost feeling guilty for wanting to use M&P cause it is not my recipe etc...

For me cphp has been a big challenge. some scents are horrid in cphp and then some scents dont last, I have had to pitch at least 4 different 3 lb batches that just weren't right. some batches have even turned out too soft using the same exact recipe...go figure. :)

My biggest seller is my

Almond (wellington fragrance)...no other almond measures up to this one from wellington. then I add baby oatmeal, calendula and honey.

Baby oatmeal cause customers have sensitive skin and this has no scratch factor and is inexpensive, easy to find.

So far (5 yrs) my almond always turns out perf.

I did make this recipe in m&p from NG and only have had one tester so far and she loves it.