ISO a quality incense stick supplier

Judy, USMC

I've found a few stick suppliers but it's so hard to tell the quality over the internet.

I found some at a good price ... but they are not the same as I remember getting back in the 70's. (I feel so old when I type that!) The ones I remember were more shaped like a cattail that grows in the marshy areas; uniformly thick.

The samples I've gotten are no way near what I remember. Much thinner and less uniform; some don't even have the coating go all the way to the top!

Is there any supplier that offers the primo quality sticks I remember burning? Not looking for the charcoal ones - prefer the brown ones, please.

Thanks !

You might check out the ones at Moonworks. They look nice (picture wise anyway). She always has quality stuff...might give her a call or shoot her an email if you have questions regarding them. I've never used them...haven't gotten into incense making..

Just a thought.

Karen

I was looking for charcoal ones and ordered from Fragrance Factory. However, they have the same issue you mentioned, not very uniform. Some were a nice size, but others were very thin. In my search I ran across the website for Scentsations Incense. The pictues they show look like the larger sticks from back in the day. Might want to give them a look if you haven't already.

http://www.scentsationsincense.com/unscented_sticks.php

For my own curiosity, may I ask why you prefer the wood over the charcoal? I've definitely noticed the charcoal is a bit messy. Thanks! :cheesy2:

For my own curiosity, may I ask why you prefer the wood over the charcoal? I've definitely noticed the charcoal is a bit messy. Thanks! :cheesy2:

I think even if the charcoal is mixed with resin there will still be charcoal dust generated. Growing up we had a coal fired boiler heating system. That dust gets into everything ... not an experience I want to re-live.

Thanks for the link ... I already found their site and may order samples from them if no one can personally recommend a good supplier.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added Thanks

I think even if the charcoal is mixed with resin there will still be charcoal dust generated. Growing up we had a coal fired boiler heating system. That dust gets into everything ... not an experience I want to re-live.

Gotcha! My grandparents had an old wood-burning pot-bellied stove in the basement for their furnace. My brother and I used to sleep next to it so I really remember the wood-burning smell. That's not a bad thing but very distinctive. I don't think it was particularly messy or dusty. Guess I was wondering how well fragrance oil would cover that.

Although the cost of the incense isn't that bad shipping is more than the product, from either Moonworks or Scentsations. Moonworks shipping looks to be cheaper and a popular suppier. I'd be happy to split the cost with you to give it a try.

I also have some of the wood incense sticks I ordered from Natures Garden. They aren't overly thick like years ago but seem to be pretty uniform in size. If you haven't tried theirs, I can send you some.

I have used unscented incense sticks from BCN and they are good quality. You might be able to get then cheaper elsewhere but I do not know what the quality is. So far BCN is the only place I have ordered from.

I came across a site doing a search on here called Madina Online. Their incense looks good but have not tried it yet. Can't always go by the pictures!

http://www.madinaonline.com/index.asp

Edited by pcbrook

I also have some of the wood incense sticks I ordered from Natures Garden. They aren't overly thick like years ago but seem to be pretty uniform in size. If you haven't tried theirs, I can send you some.

Sending you a PM!

And thanks for the link Patty! I'll see if they can send a pic of a typical bundle or at least a sample to compare. I'm begining to believe they don't make them like they used to!

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

Sending you a PM!

And thanks for the link Patty! I'll see if they can send a pic of a typical bundle or at least a sample to compare. I'm begining to believe they don't make them like they used to!

Judy, tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full. Also don't have your email address from before since my old desktop and harddrive pretty much bit the dust a few months ago. Lost most of my email. I have the reply saved, just let me know where to send it.

Wondering the same thing as well, guess they may be trying to cut down on production costs and not coating them as heavily as they used to. Not sure if I really want to learn how to make them by hand myself.

I've gotten them from NG & madina - the quality of the ones from NG is excellent, IMO - but the price from madina is WAYYY cheaper. The ones from Madina are inconsistent in size and smaller than NG's in general. Unfortunately I ordered alot of them and have to just deal with it for awhile. You can take out the really small ones and still come out ahead, but it's a PITA.

I recommend the ones from NG if they still have the same ones

Just my opinion, of course.

I've gotten them from NG & madina - the quality of the ones from NG is excellent, IMO - but the price from madina is WAYYY cheaper. The ones from Madina are inconsistent in size and smaller than NG's in general. Unfortunately I ordered alot of them and have to just deal with it for awhile. You can take out the really small ones and still come out ahead, but it's a PITA.

I recommend the ones from NG if they still have the same ones

Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about trying Madina the next time I needed them. Might think twice now.

I saw the fenglingling post in the other thread, too, and reported it. Spamers ... :angry2:

Thanks "Mom" for contacting Wellington. I've been working on the manufacturer end of things ... trying to see where the best sticks are made. Seems like most are made in China with some from India.

The ones I bought are tied with some sort of pink plastic that looks like the photo on this site: http://scentsations4u.com/unscented_incense_sticks.htm

And that looks like the same pink plastic tie thats on the Scentsations site that you provided the link for. Wonder if that would be an indicator? But then again it may just be a stock photo ...

Wonder if anyone got sticks tied with something other than the pink plastic.

Well, the sticks I got from Natures Garden are also tied with a pink plastic. They are pretty uniform if not very thick. So, maybe they all are from the same company. Wellington answered back and said theirs are also on the thin side. Haven't heard back from Scentsations yet but the pics look very similar to the ones you linked. The NG sticks are definitely more uniform than the charcoal ones I got. Some of those were thinner than a toothpick and some were a nice size.

I'm thinking you are right, would have to find an importer from China or India and go that route. Obviously somebody makes them because companies are selling incense, joss sticks, agarbatti, whatever you want to call them and they are nice and fluffy looking. But, they seem to be from foreign exporters.

I'll still be happy to make incense with what we have and send back to you.

Patti, my remarks are not about your post so please don't think I was being rude. This morning there was a post from fenglingling about Sleep Apnea. Maybe the Mods are removing. The same post was still on the 'Ideas for items to dip' thread a little while ago.

J

No worries, I knew it was intended for fenglingling. When I read that post I was thinking what the h**l. Spammers!

As far as manufacturing locations we need to add Malaysia and Viet Nam to the list. Found that info from YouTube.

It appears the hand rolled ones from India (Masala) have been pre-scented with the fragrant resins in the rolling material. Still on the quest.

I'm wondering about Wellington's as well. On their site it says they are high quality hand rolled imported from India (if I remember correctly) . I'd be interested in checking them out. The price is good.

Edited by nursenancy