Status Jars & 6006 ~ Wicking

Hi Everyone!

I've been testing different waxes, Xcel and 6006. I posted a thread in the Veg section so this question is for the 6006 and the status jars.

I'm overstressed trying to figure out the wicking in the 6006's. I've been testing using ECO's and they burn way too hot and smoke.. if I use a smaller size the burn pool stays small and doesn't reach the glass..

I'm using 6006, status jars 8oz and 12oz, 1.5oz FO/pp and using liquid dye.

Anyone using the same kind of combo that can help?

Hi Everyone!

I've been testing different waxes, Xcel and 6006. I posted a thread in the Veg section so this question is for the 6006 and the status jars.

I'm overstressed trying to figure out the wicking in the 6006's. I've been testing using ECO's and they burn way too hot and smoke.. if I use a smaller size the burn pool stays small and doesn't reach the glass..

I'm using 6006, status jars 8oz and 12oz, 1.5oz FO/pp and using liquid dye.

Anyone using the same kind of combo that can help?

I use 6006 and use the CD wicks. Try a CD12 or CD14.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the drawing board!

So my last attempt that was nothing but stress:

1.5oz FO/pp

1tbsp CO/pp

Color

UV

8oz & 12oz Status Jars

I tried Wicks: Zinc, RRD, HTP, CD.. everything ended in mushrooms and soot..

So now I'm starting probably where I should have started:

1oz FO/pp

1tbsp CO/pp

Color

No UV (saving it since I've used so much of it)

8oz & 12oz Status Jars

I'm also doing a second batch with 85% 6006 and 15% Xcel using the same ingredients as above.

So in this NEW attempt to find the right wick I'm allowing them to cure for 2 days. I'm hoping to see less soot and a better MP... I'll post my results as they come thru.

I use 6006 and eco wicks. I use a eco 8 in a 3" container and a eco 12 in a almost 4" container. I dont get a complete container melt pool but the hangup does eventually melt and I dont get any left on the sides when its all burnt down.

Do you find that the ECO wicks drown? I've had that probably ever single time I've test burned.. and that with the 1.5oz/FO/pp.. do you think that maybe it caused the drown? Using ECO wicks from Bitter Creek.

Go back to just your blend of 6006 and soy with only 1 oz fo pp and leave everything else off (including color). Remember that 6006 is very unforgiving on fo amounts. Vanilla and some bakery related ingredients are going to give you soot and mushrooms. Those are indicators of a failed efficient burn. At least with your basic formula you will be able to determine what works and what doesn't. Add your other ingredients at smaller amounts and work your way up from there. Try lx or cd with that blend and forget about zinc if you don't like mushrooms. HTH

Steve

Do you find that the ECO wicks drown? I've had that probably ever single time I've test burned.. and that with the 1.5oz/FO/pp.. do you think that maybe it caused the drown? Using ECO wicks from Bitter Creek.

The only fo that I had trouble with was cinnamon buns have yet to get a wick that doesnt drown out on this one.

• 2 months later...