Container Candle melts too fast!!!! HELP

I have recently gotten into the candle making business and am having trouble. First of all I am using Parafin wax from a wholesale company. I am using 8 oz. containers and the wax is melting very quickly, maybe in 15 minutes its like 1/2 inch of oil or wax! I also don't have a good scent throw and am using 1 1/2 oz. of FO. Help! When I burn of smell candles others have made, it's wonderful. What in the world am I doing wrong? Could it be the wick? They sold me the wick for that type of wax and container.....Maggie100 luv4him1@msn.com

No, the flame is not huge. But, I want a good scent throw. I know of other people who have made candles to sell and they smell and look wonderful in the same jelly jar as I am using. I want a good strong scent like theirs...the kind where the whole house smells great. Plus, I haven't ever noticed that the candle turns to liquid so fast as mine.....

Ok, this is what was sold to me from AAA Candle Supply in Dallas, Texas. The Parafin Wax is IgI 4630 and the wicks are 44-28-18Z 3" diameter. HELP!!!! I want so badly to do well at this and give them as gifts and sell them, but it's so hard when they don't turn out properly. They look great when the pour them, but when I burn them, they don't have the scent throw and I'm using 1 1/2 oz. of oil.

Ok, this is what was sold to me from AAA Candle Supply in Dallas, Texas. The Parafin Wax is IgI 4630 and the wicks are 44-28-18Z 3" diameter. HELP!!!! I want so badly to do well at this and give them as gifts and sell them, but it's so hard when they don't turn out properly. They look great when the pour them, but when I burn them, they don't have the scent throw and I'm using 1 1/2 oz. of oil.

Your cry for help is exactly what testing is all about :) As you have already learned, making candles is MUCH more than just buying some wax, sticking a wick and FO in and ending up with a knock-your-socks-off candle.

How big is your container (besides the ozs?) How wide is the opening? How wide is it across the middle of the container? All of these things are considerations when chosing a wick. You may need to buy a sampler pack of wicks and try several before you find one that burns exactly the way you want it too. Good Luck in your quest..and don't be in too much of a hurry, or you will be REALLY disappointed!

In the long run, making candles is neither quick nor easy. It's definately NOT a way to make some quick cash. It takes a lot of time, patience, testing and hair loss to make a good candle. As well at trying different wicks, you may want to cut back the FO some. More is not always better.

HELP!!!! I want so badly to do well at this and give them as gifts and sell them, but it's so hard when they don't turn out properly. They look great when the pour them, but when I burn them, they don't have the scent throw and I'm using 1 1/2 oz. of oil.
This is a serious craft, not a salad recipe. If you're serious enough to stick around here for a while, you can give candle gifts next Christmas. Selling them shouldn't even be on your mind at this point.

Maggie.......

At what temp are you adding your FO?

I have learned with the wax you are using, if you add the FO at 180 you will get a better throw.

I have used that exact wax, wick, similar jar and FO from AAA with fairly good results (with several of the FOs I tried there)

That IS a fairly soft wax......I had "issues" with it in the beginning and wanted a better throw. I bounced around and tried many different waxes and much to my surprise did a full circle back to it....with the zinc wicks also.

Keep trying....you will get it!