help choosing M&P base

katshe

ok I currently make my own cphp soap and it is great. I thought I would give the m&p a spin and see if it compares . I believe it scents better but I am having issues with dryness. It totally dries my hands out. I also feel some burning with the sfic low sweat white, sfic low sweat clear& sfic white base...

ok I have tried wsp goatsmilk not too bad but hate the moistness of it & to sticky gooey feeling.

I suppose i could add some oils to sfic base and probably will to see if that dryness changes.

I wondered if anyone has tried

Essentials by Catalina Natural white m&p soap base.

I need to know your skin feels after you have rinsed and dried off and how long it lasts in the shower.

I am looking for the most natural base i can find , no sulfates etc that has good lather , non drying and lasts in the shower.

If there is another base I am missing please let me know.

oh and cost is a big issue too .

I live near wellington fragrance but a pound of m&p is round $3.50 and thats no shipping...

EBC 40 lbs comes to 2.65 a lb...but I need to be sure bout that before i take the plundge....

Thanks

hmmmmm maybe the softer base could be mixed with the harder base that I have to make it less drying/burning to the skin.

Goin to check out NG right nwo...:)

Noodle, do you have a fav base and is it sulfate free??

Edited by katshe

NG has a Natural goats milk and a Natural yogurt soap base.

4.95 for 2lbs ...if you order alot it is better cause shipping not so bad there but there are no reviews on it and it is only in the quick order section so you can't just click on it to see individual info and reviews on it.

Anyone tried this base yet??

katsche, I would be careful about mixing soap base. I learned the hard way just this week.

I was low on base and mixed Columbus base with EBC base. I needed to make a brown colored soap which I have done hundreds of times. The soap ended up turning an ugly green color and I had to throw the soap out. What a total waste of time and money. I can only attribute this to mixing the bases together. I have used the same colorants in both bases separately and they colored the soap brown with no problem. I cannot think of another reason why the soap changed so badly. Do a very small batch of mixed base and see what happens.

I cannot tell you what the best base is because your needs may be very different than mine. For me, I think that the Chemistry Store has the best base.

I am still waiting on my organic base from new directions. should be here today or tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is the same base that chemistry store has so maybe it will be a winner. I have some sls free base from a couple years ago I got from new directions but didn't like the clearness or the stickiness of it but it was very nice on the skin.

Noodle thanks for the info on mixing, I would only try like same brands and do a sample test first. thanks again noodle for saving me from ruining a whole batch.

I posted some info in my thread on natural soap base in response to your questions there but will add a little more detail here. I mostly use EBC white base but recently tried a sample of their natural base. My husband has used my M&P soaps more than me and swears they are super moisturizing. I use them for washing my hands but use my CP & HP in the shower. I have never had a problem with dryness on my hands with the EBC bases. I do load my white base up with additives, similar to PA's recipe. I like to load my white base up then swirl in some clear, which makes it both moisturizing and bubbly, not to mention pretty! My M&P soaps definitely hold FO and color better using less than I do for CP or HP. My M&P soaps don't last as long as my CP or HP, but it's not a huge difference. HTH!

I posted some info in my thread on natural soap base in response to your questions there but will add a little more detail here. I mostly use EBC white base but recently tried a sample of their natural base. My husband has used my M&P soaps more than me and swears they are super moisturizing. I use them for washing my hands but use my CP & HP in the shower. I have never had a problem with dryness on my hands with the EBC bases. I do load my white base up with additives, similar to PA's recipe. I like to load my white base up then swirl in some clear, which makes it both moisturizing and bubbly, not to mention pretty! My M&P soaps definitely hold FO and color better using less than I do for CP or HP. My M&P soaps don't last as long as my CP or HP, but it's not a huge difference. HTH!

please tell me if the white soap base from ebc is the natural one or is it the one with sulfates?

I have recieved my organic base from nd and i do no like it as far as being wet slippery.

So far I do like the low sweat ,I did a mix of sfic clear and opaque lowsweat base ...very bubbly and added kaolin clay. Very nice seems hard, bubbly and no sweating, takes fo well.

The clear ( not really clear)scif low sweat base is a bit sweaty but when mixed with the white low sweat... its wonderful. That is what the opaque needed to be more bubbly.

i am thinking the kaolin clay addin that pinch of moisturization it needed...next i will add a bit of cb and jojo and see how the bubbles stand up.

I am waiting on one more order from NG...it is a natural yogurt & a natural goats milk base . only offered as quick buy for now but they told me in the next couple weeks it will be added to regular line and will have quantity discounts.

I think that is all there is to try with the exception of ebc. havent tried yet.

please tell me if the white soap base from ebc is the natural one or is it the one with sulfates?

I have recieved my organic base from nd and i do no like it as far as being wet slippery.

So far I do like the low sweat ,I did a mix of sfic clear and opaque lowsweat base ...very bubbly and added kaolin clay. Very nice seems hard, bubbly and no sweating, takes fo well.

The clear ( not really clear)scif low sweat base is a bit sweaty but when mixed with the white low sweat... its wonderful. That is what the opaque needed to be more bubbly.

i am thinking the kaolin clay addin that pinch of moisturization it needed...next i will add a bit of cb and jojo and see how the bubbles stand up.

I am waiting on one more order from NG...it is a natural yogurt & a natural goats milk base . only offered as quick buy for now but they told me in the next couple weeks it will be added to regular line and will have quantity discounts.

I think that is all there is to try with the exception of ebc. havent tried yet.

I'm using the regular white base, not the natural base. I've only tried a sample of their natural white base and was able to get about 2 bars out of it. The sample I got seems to be harder than the regular white base and also has a tinge of a soapy smell that the regular does not have. I haven't used it often enough yet to compare it to the regular white base to see which is less or more drying. I will double check my ingredients for the regular white base when I get home and post them for you. I can't recall if there is a sulfate in it or not. If there is, I don't believe it's SLS at least.

Candlemama, I'll be waiting, the sweatty factor is the most important thing for me and dryness...so far I haven't found one that doesn't dry your skin without adding something to it.

I did get NG's goats milk and the yogurt base and am testing today.

My review on Nature's garden goats milk and yogurt base.

love them both...

both are nice lathering and skin feels good after use.

I just showered with the goatsmilk soap, with added 2 tb kaolin clay and one trader joes green tea bag, no scent yet. I wanted to see how it was without scent first.

Soap is firm and not sweating. :yay:

I actually smell a clean scent to my skin and it feels soft.

Now I hope it will last a couple weeks in the shower.

I think this is the one I will be using for my m&p fun :)

I have tested SFIC low sweat over and over again and it is nice and bubbly as I said before but I do notice that a while later after washing my hands they begin to feel dry then begin to burn even with added ingredients.

SFIC white base is a bit sweaty and drying as well. i could add some extra oils but just plain it doesn't lather or bubble like I would like it to.

for the cost of m&p verses cp I am reluctant to add ingredients and bringing the cost up more and then I have to use more to make up for the loss of soap in the bowl from transferring it to the mold

Now I would like to just melt it in the mold and mix it that way but it won't fit un melted.

Edited by katshe

My review on Nature's garden goats milk and yogurt base.

love them both...

both are nice lathering and skin feels good after use.

I just showered with the goatsmilk soap, with added 2 tb kaolin clay and one trader joes green tea bag, no scent yet. I wanted to see how it was without scent first.

Soap is firm and not sweating. :yay:

I actually smell a clean scent to my skin and it feels soft.

Now I hope it will last a couple weeks in the shower.

I think this is the one I will be using for my m&p fun :)

Very excited to hear that you love these so much. My order is due to arrive tomorrow and I bought one of each!

I seem to have that same burning/drying reaction to some of the other bases I've tried too.

Very excited to hear that you love these so much. My order is due to arrive tomorrow and I bought one of each!

I seem to have that same burning/drying reaction to some of the other bases I've tried too.

Kitchenfairy I am excited for you!

Please let us know what you think of Nature"s garden natural goats milk and natural yogurt base.

I hope you love it too.

I have a few bars out for testing to a couple customers.

I am hoping that NG will offer bulk pricing on these bases. I plan on purchasing alot soon.

:yay:

• 2 weeks later...

I have made three bars of M&P soap out of the Natural White base from EBC. The color is not opaque white or cream, but a cross between clear and white soaps, if that makes sense. The base's ability to take on scent was excellent, I used sockmonkey's Almond & Shea, and it lathers very well in our softened water! I am happy with this sample, and the regular white, and Tres Leches from EBC. Just trying to figure out if I prefer EBC to SFIC's Goats Milk, which up to now has been my favorite!

UPDATE I was just a NG website and it seems that they have a whole slew of different Natural soap bases.....I did notice they have done their bulk pricing for the natural bases as well ......ok hear I go gonna have to get shoppin :yay:

There are a couple without germall plus preservative soychic :)

Edited by katshe

I know, but NG's other natural m&P soap had the SLS and I don't want that either.

But I will probably try the type with the germall preservative.

I may also buy some of the SFIC soap at Brambleberry and the lizuid soap too. $7/2# seems like alot though for the soap.

Soy Chic

I know, but NG's other natural m&P soap had the SLS and I don't want that either.

I may also buy some of the SFIC soap at Brambleberry and the lizuid soap too. $7/2# seems like alot though for the soap.

Soy Chic

Natures garden has just got in all new natural bases sls free. I just ordered , natural oatmeal, natural cocoabutter and natural soya milk. to give them a try...should be here in a day or so.

Edited by katshe

Natures garden has just got in all new natural bases sls free. I just ordered , natural oatmeal, natural cocoabutter and natural soya milk. to give them a try...should be here in a day or so.

OH yeah you are right. I just looked again and they didn't have those when I was looking before. I looked at all of the natural soaps they have and only 3 had the germall plus(soya & goats milk and yogurt). Let me know how they work for you. I may add my own goats milk to one of them like the natural shea :)

I would love to start ordering my soap from NG since I buy my fragrances there.

SoyChic

Soy Chic

There are suppliers closer to you that carry SFIC bases. That may help with $hipping cost$. :cheesy2: