Moon Works...Witches Brew!

lsbennis

Rhonda is local for me, and I do need to make another trip down there, because I can't remember what Witches Brew smells like! I do know that I loved most of her oils, she specializes in multi-layered scents. Patchouli Raspberry is great, not too sweet, like I expected. Rowan is another that I thought I would not like from the description, but I intend to buy. I don't find any of her scents to have a candy, sickeningly sweet quality. I do not care for a rose scent in candles, but her Gypsy Rose is very true and fresh, and if someone requested a rose scent, that is the one I would recommend. It smells like one of those medium pink David Austin English roses. I also do agree that Earthen Oak smells like Peak's French Vanilla & Amber, a GREAT scent, BTW! Merlin's Forest is soft & powdery. The Harvest Moon is a great dupe for McCall's Candles Pumpkin Spice/Farmer's Market, it has the fresh sugar element, along with an orange peel added in to the cinnamon & allspice that I was looking for! I bought a pound of Spirit of Avalon, it is Lime and Musk, different from any other lime scent I had tried. Great in M&P soap! Give me one of everything!!

• 3 weeks later...
Whatever you do, don't judge it OOB - it REALLY blooms in wax & sticks like glue in soap. The first time I smelled OOB, my first thought was PINE SOL. Totally not what it smells like, LOL

Can anyone give me an idea of the notes you do smell once it's in wax? I just got my first shipment of oils from MW, 7 of them, and love all of them, except this one, which is surprising based on the description. It does remind me a bit of Pine Sol or some sort of disinfectent. I thought Patchouli Passion would be my least favorite and it's actually my fav, OOB.

Of course, I've had oils that smell great in the bottle and didn't do that well in candles, so you never know. I'll give it a try to see how it does. The fragrance has great reviews.

Well, I just received my samples from Rhonda. Only 22 different ones...looks like my weekend is shot :smiley2:. OOB I liked most of them, so now I simply have to do some pouring to test them. That's only 22 pounds or so of wax! Crap, I'm such a FOHO!

Cheers,

Steve

I'm horrible at scent descriptions, but it's a rich spicy scent. Not a sweet bakery spice - more earthy and mysterious. Patchouli, clove, cinnamon...Very complex. One of my favorites.

HTH

Maybe it's the cedarwood resin that is giving it that weird smell OOB and really mellows out in the wax or soap. I'm just glad you mentioned that. Otherwise, I might have been on the classies wanting to trade rather than try it. But, everything else smells wonderful, I'm really excited to try these.

Steve, I thought I was bad with 7 scents plus 2 pre-buys. Yup, guess I'll be seeing you at the FoHo Anonymous meetings, too... :laugh2:

Well just poured Merlin's Forest with feather palm! The whole place smells great! Looks like I'm off to the prebuy :). Only one problem...I am doing a burn test on a 12 oz beanpot with Harvest Moon (NG) at the moment, so I have competing FO's wafting through the house. Candlenose here I come!

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 years later...

Did anybody else have to wick WAY up on 'Witches Brew'? I made votives out of it which turned out great smelling, but I did not have a votive wick big enough to take on this stuff. I ended up using some container candle wicks I tabbed short enough for the votives, but I don't feel comfortable with anyone besides me burning them.

If I try this in a container candle, I'm considering experimenting with coconut oil in the wax to see if that will lower the melt point enough that my usual wicks will work. And in a container in an air conditioned home, the coconut oil isn't a sloshy problem. Again, nothing I'd let someone else have but I'll experiment myself because I know I'll watch it closely.

Edited by Darbla