Does Wick TYPE affect scent throw?

All things being equal (same jars, same fragrances, same fragrance loads, same waxes) and assuming that you are wicking properly and similarly (in other words, we won't be comparing the scent throw of an Eco 1 to that of a 62z), in your opinions and in your testing, does the TYPE of wick you use affect how much throw a candle produces?

Do zincs throw better than LX's, etc?

Yes b/c some wicks burn hotter than others (the MP gets hotter & gives better throw). From testing my candles, Hemp seemed to have the best HT but also a huge mushroom. Cds seemed to burn pretty hot too but I got a lot of soot using them. I went with LX b/c they still had a good HT and didn't give me any soot on the jar after hours of burning. I'm sure someone will know much more than I do about each type of wick but they will definitely affect the HT.

Does this vary per wax, in your experience? Or per fragrance oil? I have so much to learn, and have utilized the forums completely, and after over a year of testing of this single oil, still can't get this one damn oil to work with my stuff. This headache makes me love my regular supplier oh so much:rolleyes2

Edited by B@BlissStreet
grammar

Wicks will definitely have an effect on scent throw. Everything used in candlemaking has an effect on the scent throw; the wax, the jar, the FO, the wick, the additives, etc. When I am testing wicks I not only look for optimum burn but also great scent throw.

For example, with my parasoy blend the zincs gave the best scent throw and burn but tended to mushroom. I switched to LX and got less soot and mushrooming but less scent throw. I tried CDs but the jar burned to hot to the touch so I went back to zincs and 'rediscovered' that they were the right fit for my candles. Sometimes the right wick may be a trade off. You look for the best wick to do what you want for your candle.

Wicks will definitely have an effect on scent throw. Everything used in candlemaking has an effect on the scent throw; the wax, the jar, the FO, the wick, the additives, etc. When I am testing wicks I not only look for optimum burn but also great scent throw.

For example, with my parasoy blend the zincs gave the best scent throw and burn but tended to mushroom. I switched to LX and got less soot and mushrooming but less scent throw. I tried CDs but the jar burned to hot to the touch so I went back to zincs and 'rediscovered' that they were the right fit for my candles. Sometimes the right wick may be a trade off. You look for the best wick to do what you want for your candle.

And that is exactly what I said! If a candle is wicked properly, it doesn't matter what kind of wick you've used. The CD you describe burns too hot - not wicked properly. The LX most likely did not burn hot enough - not wicked properly. My properly wicked candles give the best scent throw and yet they are a combination of CDs, Performas, Zincs, CSNs & RRDs. Carole

Maybe I am missing something, but if the wick affects the scent throw, then how are you getting a good scent throw out of a wickless candle, tarts and melts? I was always under the impression that there were some scents that were not as strong as others and there wasn't anything you could do to make it throw better.

I know some of my tarts that I burn in our store (1500 sq. ft.), you can smell them all over the store, other tarts do not throw that well. It doesn't make them a bad tart, they're just not as strong. Strawberries and Cream is one that comes to mind, it is very strong.

I only use one kind of wick for my palm wax containers and one for my palm pillars, if I have a scent that I just can't wick to my liking, then I just don't use it. I would drive myself nuts if I had to find a different wick for those scents that weren't throwing that well!

Like I said, I maybe missing something......

You get a good throw from wickless b/c the warmer is heating the wax which is what creates the hot throw, through the melt pool. I agree that some scents aren't as strong as others but in my testing the hotter the wick's burn the better scent throw even for those that are not extra strong. I've gotten my best HT from my scented shots in a warmer. The hemp and CD wicks also had excellent throw but I couldn't use them w/o soot and mushrooming (wicking is not my favorite thing to figure out!) so I went with an LX wick and it has a pretty good throw, but 1 shot can scent my house and it's safer for me since I have 2 young children. JMO...

Maybe I am missing something, but if the wick affects the scent throw, then how are you getting a good scent throw out of a wickless candle, tarts and melts? I was always under the impression that there were some scents that were not as strong as others and there wasn't anything you could do to make it throw better.

I know some of my tarts that I burn in our store (1500 sq. ft.), you can smell them all over the store, other tarts do not throw that well. It doesn't make them a bad tart, they're just not as strong. Strawberries and Cream is one that comes to mind, it is very strong.

I only use one kind of wick for my palm wax containers and one for my palm pillars, if I have a scent that I just can't wick to my liking, then I just don't use it. I would drive myself nuts if I had to find a different wick for those scents that weren't throwing that well!

Like I said, I maybe missing something......

Debbie,

The wick affects hot throw for a few different reasons. The biggest reason in my opinion is that wicking affects the speed at which the wax burns, as some wicks suck wax up faster than others, resulting in more wax being burned, therefore producing more throw.

A second reason is that some wicks can clog if you are using a high % of a very "heavy" fragrance oil such as cinnamon. This can lead to dramatically decreased throw.

I have had really good luck using the LX wicks with the GW 444, they do give a bit of a mushroom, but they throw very nicely. On the flip side, they tend to burn a little faster, and in order to make my 17 hour votives, I need to actually use a slightly larger container.

Chris