Soot Frustrations

I have been testing IGI 4627 comfort blend and HTP wicks in a round, 14 oz conical container with a 3.44 inch diameter. I'm using one ivory dye chip per pound and 1 oz FO. I've tested several sizes and have narrowed it down to possibly HTP 83 or 93. I also tried 104 and 105, but they were too big.

The 93 has less hang up after burning half way through, but the glass is pretty hot on the side the wick is curling. With my HTP 83 testers, I have more hang up but the container isn't too hot to the touch, and the hang up disappears toward the end. I think if I wicked down from the 83, I would have problems with tunneling or drowning but haven't tested it.

Regardless of the wick size, once I burn half way through the candle, I am getting some black soot at the top of the container. Do you think I should switch wick types or size, or is this just the nature of paraffin? I have been thinking about adding some soy but don't want to decrease the easy and strong HT I get from this wax with almost every FO I test. What am I doing wrong?!?

:confused:

I was having issues w/soot in my paraffin wax for quite some time. I tried, CD's, HTP's, Zinc and Hemp and they all produced quite a bit of soot once they burned about halfway down. Finally I tried LX wicks and I can burn them all day (I know this is a No No but I tend to burn mine from morning to night!) and get no soot anymore. I haven't tested them in all of my FO's but I have tested about 10 different ones and they were all soot-free! I felt like I really accomplished something finally! :yay:

Candlemama,

If you're in a mixing mood, I'd like to suggest 85% 4627, 15% Glass Glow. I've found this mix to greatly reduce sooting, widens the melt pool and allows you to use 1 wick size smaller than 4627 alone. The great CT/HT of 4627 is retained. The glass adhesion is not diminished.

It does pastel out the color a bit compared to 4627 alone, comparable to parasoy mixes and soy blends. In this ratio, there is no frosting or feathering from the GG.

I was having issues w/soot in my paraffin wax for quite some time. I tried, CD's, HTP's, Zinc and Hemp and they all produced quite a bit of soot once they burned about halfway down. Finally I tried LX wicks and I can burn them all day (I know this is a No No but I tend to burn mine from morning to night!) and get no soot anymore. I haven't tested them in all of my FO's but I have tested about 10 different ones and they were all soot-free! I felt like I really accomplished something finally! :yay:

I have some LX wicks. I tried one size so far, which was recommended by the CandleScience calc, but it was much too big. Hmmm.... I gave up initially because the HTP seemed to do better, but now I think I'll go back and try the LX again. Thanks.

Candlemama,

If you're in a mixing mood, I'd like to suggest 85% 4627, 15% Glass Glow. I've found this mix to greatly reduce sooting, widens the melt pool and allows you to use 1 wick size smaller than 4627 alone. The great CT/HT of 4627 is retained. The glass adhesion is not diminished.

It does pastel out the color a bit compared to 4627 alone, comparable to parasoy mixes and soy blends. In this ratio, there is no frosting or feathering from the GG.

I may try the GG as well. I've been following the threads on GG because those candles are so nice looking, and it seems to be an easier veggie wax to work with than soy. When I need to put in another order at Peaks, I think I'll get some GG to try it out. Gives me an excuse to order more wax!! Thanks!

I know there will be some dispute on what I am about to say but this has always worked for me with clean burn but you must trim your wicks!

I tried all kinds of wicks and sizes and low smoke zinks too but zink wicks has been my choice and my candle testers agree and I use 10 % fo load.I hope I helped.