Test Burn time?

You got it! if you have more than one, you can do a power burn too.

Thanks so much! I have taken some pictures of the test burn so far. I just want to make sure everything is right since this is my 1st! So if anyone has any input, please tell me! I was wondering if the flame is too small?? These pictures were taken at a little over an hour of the burn.

post-12207-139458470518_thumb.jpg

post-12207-139458470522_thumb.jpg

post-12207-139458470524_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrittyBea

Test burns are generally 3 to 4 hours to match the typical burning instructions that come with the candles. There is no type of candle I can think of that would normally be test burned for less than 3 hours.

Since the dia. is 2in, I planned on at least doing a 3 hour test. It has been burning about 1.5 hours so far

Sounds good. Don't listen to that 1 inch per hour stuff. The diameter has nothing to do with how long you should burn it or how long people will have it lit. Votives cups are even smaller than 2 inches, but that has nothing to do with the burn time. You still figure on people burning them for 3 or 4 hours. And if they're properly wicked, votives can burn as long as you like.

I just checked them, and its going on 2 hours of burn time and there seems to be a little under 1/4" of wax left that won't burn. The candle is still burning down, it's just leaving some on the sides. Does this mean the wick is a bit too small? From what I have read, the HTP 83 is for 3" diameter containers. My container is only 2" so you would think it would be too big if anything, right? What do you think?

Edited by BrittyBea

1st burn test... DONE! It was a little over 3 hour test. As I said before, it didn't completely melt to the sides of the glass. It left about 1/8" of unmelted wax but the melt pool was 1/2" deep. It has pretty good HT.

I should keep doing these until it has melted all the way down, right? I know to make sure it has cooled completely.

The wick looks like it is getting ready to drown out. If the flame keeps getting smaller you may want to wick up. Also, how is the scent throw? Keep a log of that also, how big the room, how well it scented the room. Changing a wick can also affect the scent throw.

Thanks so much! Actually, for as big of a room that we're in, the HT is pretty decent. Of course you smell it better while you're right around it but you can still smell it elsewhere. I thought the wick looked like it was going to drown too but it never did. It is still about 1/4" and has a very slight downward curve. The flame just seems a bit small. I'll be doing the 2nd test tonight after the kiddies go to bed!

I agree. Keep burning. I usually have some wax hang up until the third or 4th burn. If it cleans the jar on the first bun a lot of times that means my jar gets very hot at the end. You can always go up a size on the wick and see what you think of that if you need to reassure yourself. I do that sometimes. I'll test two side by side so that I know for sure I have the wick I am happy with.

I just checked them, and its going on 2 hours of burn time and there seems to be a little under 1/4" of wax left that won't burn. The candle is still burning down, it's just leaving some on the sides. Does this mean the wick is a bit too small? From what I have read, the HTP 83 is for 3" diameter containers. My container is only 2" so you would think it would be too big if anything, right? What do you think?

You may get the impression from supplier sites and elsewhere, that wick sizes match up to container sizes, but wick sizes actually depend on the wax and other stuff. The size you need for a particular container can vary a lot.

Go ahead and keep testing 3 hours at a time. The important thing is how much wax is left at the end, which you may not be able to predict at this point. You also want to see how cleanly it burns (watch for puffs of smoke or soot on the glass), which can change as you burn the candle down.

It's always a good idea to compare more than one size, so you could consider making an HTP 93 candle to test while you continue burning this one.

It's always a good idea to compare more than one size, so you could consider making an HTP 93 candle to test while you continue burning this one.

Yeah, I only have a pound of wax left from my kit (NG) and it only came with HTP 83. Maybe I should just buy a sample pack.