Hot and Cold Process Soap Making Help

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I'm new to the whole Bath and Body. I've been doing candles for a while now and want to expand into soap making beyong the basic M&P because I made some and it just was horrible and I've been doing research and have seen it's cheaper to make it from scratch. Are there any tutorials, books, or receipes you might recommend for a beginner? I need everything I can get. I'll also keep searching the web and archives to see what I come up with. Thanks!

Guest EMercier

I checked that out. I guess I'll have to do more searching for recipes. Hey, I'll be Atlanta in a few weeks for Christmas to visit my mom!

When I started to really get interested in soap making, I read everything on the old board regarding soap. I looked at every recipe, every post in the bath and body section and looked at everything in the gallery. It took a few weeks to finish that, then I went to the Miller Soap site and read that a few times. I read and re-read Robin's tutorial so many time I could see it like a movie in my head. By the time I actually made soap I was so prepared. I say read, read, read. Then read some more.

Just about every question has been answered in the old board archives.

Good reading.

Guest EMercier

That's funny because I did that when I first got on the old board with the candles. I had been making them for a while, but I still found good stuff! Thanks.

I never found the Millers site to be of any help to me I became more confused, but that's just me. The old CT board was the biggest help. I agree about reading and re-reading the tutorials for either hp or cp over and over until you almost have it memorized and feel comfortable. The lye thing can be scary at first but after your first batch you are more cautious than scared. Good luck. ;)

Everything everyone has posted are good suggestions, and also, when a computer is not accessible, you may want to look into either buying or going to the library and getting the Soapmaker's Companion book.. It's a great book and by reading that from front to back a couple times, it helped me. Some of the stuff is outdated, but the basics are there and it's a nice book for information.

Good luck and above all, HAVE FUN!! It is a very addicting thing to do... :)