Think it's okay?

candlemama

I just made another batch of CP and tried to do some swirls for the first time. I only used the stick blender two times for 10 seconds each and then just stirred with a spoon because I wanted it to be thin when I added color. Well, by the time I got to pouring, the mixture was pretty thick. As I was pouring, I saw a couple chunks which I think was my oils solidified and not fully stirred up.

Do you think the soap will be okay? I am concerned the lye and oils didn't get mixed thoroughly even though it was a pretty thick, pudding like consistency when I put it in the mold.

Edited by candlemama
Grammar issues...

I would just check it for lye to see if it zaps. I had this happen with a soap I added heavy cream to yesterday, it was lump city, I glopped it in the mold and cut it today, it is fine.

I'm not sure offhand if it mixed correctly. Globs don't sound like the best thing, but you do have some leeway with the lye discount. It could be fine even if it isn't perfect.

Believe it or not, 20 seconds with the stick blender is a lot if it's even a halfway hard recipe. When you want to keep the trace slow for swirling purposes, and if you aren't using tons of liquid oil, just put the stick blender away and arm yourself with a whisk. I hardly have any use for my blender.

I think I probably should have just used a whisk. I followed Kat's recipe which has cocoa butter: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65822

The chunks weren't huge. There were 2-3, the largest of which was about the size of a pencil eraser. I just checked on the soap, and it's weeping lye right now on the top. I can't seem to get my CP to gel, not sure if that has anything to do with the sweat. I hope when I check on it again in the morning, the sweat will be reabsorbed. I may need to rebatch this one...

Make sure and check that your fo or eo does not cause acceleration. Some recipes are perfect for swirling and some are terrible for swirling, due to the combinations of oils and or additives that may increase the saponification process. I would watch your thermometer and when your temp rises a degree, take some out for your swirls and continue until your temp rises another degree. Depending on whether you are doing in the pot swirls or layered or funneling will dictate whether you need to be at light or medium trace. IMHO.

Steve

Make sure and check that your fo or eo does not cause acceleration. Some recipes are perfect for swirling and some are terrible for swirling, due to the combinations of oils and or additives that may increase the saponification process. I would watch your thermometer and when your temp rises a degree, take some out for your swirls and continue until your temp rises another degree. Depending on whether you are doing in the pot swirls or layered or funneling will dictate whether you need to be at light or medium trace. IMHO.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I used WSP's Sea Glass because I read that it is very forgiving and doesn't speed trace. And it was easy to work with. I think I probably should have used a whisk and not my sb as Top mentioned. I cut the soap yesterday, and it appears to be doing okay. Didn't see any chunks! And all the sweat on the top is gone. No zap. So now just waiting for the cure.