NG's Hot Buttered Rum...ick

Aileene

So oob it smelled like rubbing alcohol to both my DH and I, but I thought it might mellow in wax (again, I use the KY Parasoy and usually about 1oz pp of wax)

after 24 hours and even 48 hours I couldn't keep a 1oz sample (I pour mostly 2oz portion cups, but I use the 1oz scallops for testing first before I melt the whole 2oz, plus most of my testers have tea light burners and those only fit the 1oz)

anyway, I couldn't even keep the 1oz tester going to melt the whole thing (and I use an electric melter with the bowl that they sell everywhere now days, so it doesn't take long to melt) the smell wasn't total rubbing alcohol, but it was pretty close. Made me nauseated and head-achy...definitely off my list.

Are there any good Hot Buttered Rum out there? I am thinking of giving up on that scent and moving to a more eggnog or wassail, but I really wanted the HBR.

--Aileene

To me, it smells less like rubbing alcohol and more like fingernail polish remover!! I'm with ya on the "ick" though -- NOT a good one at all.

I had tried one other one from another supplier (now I can't remember), but it wasn't any good either so I just gave up on that FO all together...

Hope you find one that works for you!

I dunno. To me Just Scent had one that was like a butter rum lifesaver but that was years ago and it would have only been good in a melt, not wicked ... in other words 0 hot throw in straight paraffin when wicked. Maybe something has changed since then though. It's the only one I've tried though and I may be the only one who likes the smell of the stuff in my neck of the woods lol.

Thanks Scented, I'll take a look for that one. I've been testing some of the other samples I've had come in and put this scent on the list for the next time I put in orders.

I've really appreciated all the feedback and advice I've gotten so far here.

So thanks again,

--Aileene

• 2 years later...
Candlescience has a good Buttered Rum.

I'm testing this in a melt...... & I must be missing something. The reviews on CS say it's like a Lifesaver. & to me, it smells nothing like that, but I can't put my finger on what it does smell like. Maybe I just don't know what Buttered Rum really does smell like... anyone else?

I'm testing this in a melt...... & I must be missing something. The reviews on CS say it's like a Lifesaver. & to me, it smells nothing like that, but I can't put my finger on what it does smell like. Maybe I just don't know what Buttered Rum really does smell like... anyone else?

I just consulted my spreadsheet and all I have in comments is "Yuck". I LOVE Butter Rum Lifesavers and would have loved that scent. It was not that, to me. Wish I had written more but it was a no for me.

I just consulted my spreadsheet and all I have in comments is "Yuck". I LOVE Butter Rum Lifesavers and would have loved that scent. It was not that, to me. Wish I had written more but it was a no for me.

OK, I feel better..... Yuck is exactly right, lol.

If anyone wants to part ways with their NG Buttered Rum, i'd be happy to give it a try. Having never sampled it, I'm curious in seeing just how icky this FO is! I'm really intrigued. Why would NG sell such an off-smelling FO? The reviews on this one seem mixed. If anyone wants to sell their sample bottle I'd like to evaluate it.