Wicking cinnamon Stick

I poured a cinnamon stick from CS a little over a month ago and used 7% FO with a CD14 in a 8oz. jelly jar and no dye. It burned fine until 2/3rd's of the way down and the flame was extremely small. It had great HT until that point. I am using 415.

So a couple weeks ago I poured another cinnamon stick, 7% FO and used a CD16. Added the FO and poured at the same temps as before. Yesterday I decided to test it and it burned fine in 3 hours. I got up this morning and the top was brown, cauliflowery and really looked disgusting. So I lit it again this morning and it is still a ugly light brown.

I am going to pour another one Thursday and use 6% FO with a CD14 again and see if I can get a consistant flame to the very end on the next test burn.

My question is, what would cause this? I did notice it did have a lot of frosting and actually looked bad while it was curing--it didn't have the nice off-white color as the one before. I have attached a couple pics from this morning. TIA

th_Hollyhock004.jpg th_Hollyhock005.jpg

The cauliflower top is simply a characteristic of soy that occasionally shows up. Since I don't use pure soy but mix it with paraffin, I can't tell you the exact reasons as to why. But I'm certain that someone else will chime in and shed some more light on the subject for you.

Thanks Jennifer for the info. I was hoping to get some others to give me their feedback.

I did burn it again and the brown color went away some and is smoother, but I thought it was strange.

Anyone else have a thought?

Not experienced as most here, but the colouring is probably from the FO. I did a couple of testers using Chanel no. 5 FO using NO dye, one of them stayed white.cream when burning, but the other ended up with a grey/blue tint to and stayed that colour when it hardened up again.

I've made a few since and not one turned that bluey grey colour again. As to why it happened the first time, haven't been able to reproduce it, so have no idea,...

Could be due to the amount of FO that is causing the discolouring and the 'cauliflowering', so I'd cut back on that see what happens. I've read here that Cinnamon type FOs need to be wicked a bit bigger and not to use as much FO :-)

I'm sure I haven't helped much, but this has been my experience with wax discolouring.

Edited by nadiap

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I posted earlier i am going to try 6% and a CD14 to see how it burns. The CD14 and the 7% burned fine until the last 3rd and the flame became too small. So I will see how that works.

I would really like to find a more unique cinnamon fragrance so if anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear.:yay:

I have yet to find a Cinnamon Stick (red hot type) that will burn and throw. If it burns nice, not much throw. I have settled for just 1 oz. pp of f/o and wicking up. It still drowns out at about 6 hours, but people aren't supposed to burn that long anyway. It still bugs me though. I want it to burn strong (and keep the wax pretty) and have the best throw. Something is in that cinnamon that makes it do this. I have tried different waxes too. Still does it. MC's Cinnamon Stick is my worst trouble maker. I wanted to try CS's and just bought an oz. from someone on here. Guess I better not get my hopes up!

Hi Nadiap, only this morning I poured a Chanel No 5 to test using the cb135 and 4% FO {its a strong scent!}. No dye, just a tad of UV so I'll see if it discolours. Were your testers exactly the same? If so, its weird that one discoloured and not the other. I truely believe that the soy gods just pick a candle maker at random to wreak havoc on for their own entertainment and then move on......

Hi Nadiap, only this morning I poured a Chanel No 5 to test using the cb135 and 4% FO {its a strong scent!}. No dye, just a tad of UV so I'll see if it discolours. Were your testers exactly the same? If so, its weird that one discoloured and not the other. I truely believe that the soy gods just pick a candle maker at random to wreak havoc on for their own entertainment and then move on......

Yep, they were the same, using the gold swish lantern container (posted a picture of it some time back). I then tested using votive containers and one turned out grey/blue and the other didn't :-(

Seriously weird, so I have to agree about the soy gods :-)

You might as well pour another one from that batch w/ 6% using a CD16 too. Burn them side by side. Then decide. Hopefully, you can keep one burning for at least 4 hours (the typical burn time). Mine still turn the wax a muddy color, but I love this scent, and HAVE to make it work. I should get my CS sample this week. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Some of the Cinnamon Sticks I've tried are: NG, The CStore, KY, JS, and probably more. They burn nice, but the scent throw wasn't what I wanted.

I get pretty good HT from CS Red Hot Cinnamon in 464 with CD wicks. Their Cinnamon Stick fo doesn't really go anywhere for me. I think it's such a sharp, one-note kind of fragrance, it doesn't fill a room the same way something sweeter or more complex will.

I had a darker look with it also, and my CD wicks wanted to drown at first, but once they realized I was gonna keep making them do their job, they settled in and burned great the rest of the way! The color I had was similar to what I get with Pumpkin Souffle fo--I don't use dye either--and I just poured a Honeysuckle Jasmine that looks yellowish and shiny. Never a dull moment! :smiley2:

I hope a CD14 will work with 6% FO. The first one I tested burned great with the CD14 until the last 2/3rds of the way down and then the flame was so tiny. There was some hangup but not a lot, it actually looked good until towards the end.

I also had the same problem with CS's Strudel & Spice, it did the same thing.

I agree with you Catlover, the Cinnamon Stick is a great FO, but I really would like one with a few different notes in it. So we will see.

I did find a Zanzibar Clove from At Wix End that smells great, but it is discontinued. I may just go another route and try a cinnamon-nutmeg-clove combo. I di have a sample of Red Hot Cinnamon from CS I will pour this week to see how it fairs against the Cinnamon Stick.

Well today I kept walking by the Strudel & Spice and decided to give it one last burn...just to see if it would burn better. And it did. It was almost to the bottom but had more than1/2" left so I said what the heck.

Now to see what the Cinnamon Stick will do...:shocked2: