Sigh... my candles suck

More of a rant than anything.... I know I have to test, test, test. But just wanted to complain to people who understand. My candles really, really suck. :(

Smoking, mushrooming, hang ups, off center melt pools, weak throw. Ugh.

Back to the drawing board.

Smoking, mushrooming, hang ups, off center melt pools, weak throw. Ugh.

It's kind of like losing weight....focus on 5 lbs at a time instead of all 60 lbs that you want to lose.

In other words, instead of trying to fix all of the above problems at once, work on just one of them at a time; it makes things a LITTLE easier ;)

Good luck and hang in there!

It's kind of like losing weight....focus on 5 lbs at a time instead of all 60 lbs that you want to lose.

In other words, instead of trying to fix all of the above problems at once, work on just one of them at a time; it makes things a LITTLE easier ;)

This is great advice and a great way to look at it. I think the harder we try to make a better candle -the more frustrating it becomes. You'll get it. I am still fighting with those silly mushrooms!Ugh. Hate them.

BTW if it makes you feel better you probably are being hard on yourself as well. Just today a friend reminded me of how she loved my candles even before I put all the energy in to making them that much better.

What type of wax, containers and wicks are you using? How much fo do you add? Maybe those of us that use the same wax can help.

I'm using a 7oz straight-type jar and also a 14oz one. I started using the 14oz ones until I read in the forums that it's best to learn on smaller containers since it doesn't take as long to test burn them! I think I just don't like my wax. I'm using SB 1000 from Genwax which is supposed to be a 30/70 soy/paraffin mix. Even my husband says these candles just smell waxy. I'm tempted to give up and use something else. I've done a few candles with IGI 4630 (bought a starter kit from Peaks). I'm burning one now with pear spice (1/2 oz pp) from Peaks and it smells great -- love this scent. For the SB 1000 wax candles, I used 1oz pp, along with HTP wicks, sizes 83 and 105 to test with. The Genwax reps recommended I use HTP 83 with their wax in the 7oz containers. But I also had the 105 size on hand. I know I don't have my wicking right with either wax. I think I'm just going to try pouring a few with no FO and no dye just to see if I can get them to burn correctly, then start adding FO and dye.

I am still researching waxes to find one I think I'll love. I wish there was a magic wax out there that works beautifully every time, but I know it comes down to a lot of work, time, patience, and money!!

I am assuming these are the libbey cubes. FWIW I am testing these right now and find there is a big learning curve with these. I don't think they are the best container to learn how to make a candle out of if it makes you feel better. I started with a round container and branched off from there.

I don't use your way but do use a parasoy blend(6006) with a little extra soy added in. I am finding that I am getting some soot on the little jar (7.5oz) at the very end of the candle. It does pretty good until the bottom. I have tested zincs, low smoke zincs, cd's and htp's. I have some eco's and smaller lx's coming to test as well. So far the htp gave me the least amount of soot on the jar. I am trying to get no soot on the jar though!:rolleyes2 Try a HTP 93 in the 7 oz and see if that is any better for you. For me I found that gave me a little hang up half way down the jar but then cleaned up.

Edited by aviator girl

I just checked out your wax, and didn't see any information about how hot to pour your wax or what temp to add fo ... important information ... I would call the supplier and ask. Another thing ... do you cure your candles ... I use 6006 and find I need to cure mine about 3-4 days.

Also, from what I've read, SB1000 is a 60/40 blend ... 60% soy & 40% paraffin plus additives. I would call the supplier and also ask what the fragrance load is for that wax ... maybe you need to add more than 1oz of fo per pound of wax.

Hopefully, others who use SB1000 will jump in with helpful suggestions.

Edited by Candlebuddy