Ounces - fluid oz or weight???

It's always best to weigh all your additives. Oil weights/density vary, so 1oz. of "X" oil may not measure the same as "Y" oil, but an ounce weighed will always be the same. Same thing with solid additives like stearic or vybar or UV, etc. How you measure a tbsp will always vary a bit, so there's no real consistency to what you do. If you weigh, it's exact and consistent each time.

Also, by weighing, it is consistent from person to person. My tbsp may not look the same as your tbsp (some people 'heap' more than others, lol) and by weighing, even husbands (lol) can measure things out for you and do it correctly.

I see on the threads everyone talking about using 5%, 6%, and so on for there fragrance oils. What does that mean? Is that a percentage of the wax you are using. For instance if I have 1 lb of wax then I would use the following formula:

16 oz x .05 = .8 oz of FO

Thanks so much for you help.

I see on the threads everyone talking about using 5%, 6%, and so on for there fragrance oils. What does that mean? Is that a percentage of the wax you are using. For instance if I have 1 lb of wax then I would use the following formula:

You area correct ma'am! :yay:

I am new also and saw this post. I was wondering what you used to weigh your oils? I have been using actual tablespoons. I have also been confused about fragrance loads. can anyone explain this a bit more? 6% 9% ect... Thanks

The next best thing to a heat gun you can get is digital scales. Wally World has them in the Kitchenwares section for about $29.00 for the one that weighs up to 11 lbs. Definitely a must when weighing wax and FO! Also, see above reply to SprinlesWife on precentages of FO to wax.

the geek :rockon:

Thanks so much for you help.

It's not quite cleared up yet.

5% FO means 5% fragrance and 95% wax. For instance, let's say you need 11 oz of wax to fill up a jar. That would be .05 x 11 = .55 oz FO and .95 x 11 = 10.45 wax.

The formula you mentioned above isn't correct. That would add up to a total of 16.8 oz. The amount of FO in that case is 0.8/16.8 = 4.76% which is a little off.

I think I understand now and I have been doing it all wrong!!!! Thank you both for your input and formulas,

Now in the formula .55 is oz of FO and the amount for wax is 10.45 oz of wax so to make one candle i would weigh out 10.45 oz of wax and melt down then add .55 oz of fo and that is all weighed measurements. Correct??

Please let me know I just want to understand the math so I am getting great smelling candles!!

Heidi

I think I understand now and I have been doing it all wrong!!!! Thank you both for your input and formulas,

Now in the formula .55 is oz of FO and the amount for wax is 10.45 oz of wax so to make one candle i would weigh out 10.45 oz of wax and melt down then add .55 oz of fo and that is all weighed measurements. Correct??

Please let me know I just want to understand the math so I am getting great smelling candles!!

Heidi

Yes that's right.

Using percentage formulas, you start with the total amount of stuff you need to fill your jars or molds. You multiply that amount by the percentage of each ingredient and weigh each one out.

The key thing is that all the percentages have to add up to 100% (obvious when you think about it, right?). So the percentage of wax is 100 minus everything else. For instance, 5% FO, 3% stearic, 92% wax. That adds up to 100%.