my batch

Hello, I poured some candles last night ( it took over 1 week to get my wicks in so I was dying to make some!) anyway disappointed with my batch. I made 6 candles, using different FOs and 8oz jelly jars. They are still "curing" since I am using Joy Wax. I am about to throw this wax out the window! I have sinkholes that I have to go invest in a heat gun and feel like with some of the candles, that I smell the wax instead of the FO?? Am I not using enough FO? I put in .5 oz FO for each jar maybe .7 if it was the last drop in the bottle. I only have sample 1 oz bottles.

Oh, I should switch to J223?!

and you're right, this is an expensive hobby, since I have to order more FOs now in bigger bottles!

I really love ButterCream, Creme Brulee, Vanillas, Sugar Cookie, etc.. if you guys know who makes better than NG lmk - know some of you said Peaks is strong.. Does Cajun Candles have strong FO? So I have to usse 1.5oz FO per lb?

Ahh, going to check my batch again LOL

ETA : my dh told me that 1 candle is strong, and that FO is from Daystar!

I would say that you could be pouring to hot. What temp did you pour at. Try pouring a bit cooler with the joy wax, to avoid sink holes. The joy wax seems to have its own 'botanical' smell. I always use 1 to 1.5 with joy.

it might be good for you to search the board and do some reading about joy wax

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9119&highlight=joy+wax

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3523&highlight=joy+wax

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6830&highlight=joy+wax

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5771&highlight=joy+wax

I use Joy Wax too, and I've never had a sink hole. I am going to find a different

container wax though because there is to much soot with Joy Wax. You should probably go to Natures Candles and they have the instructions on their site, and it will come out perfectly. Two scents that work awesome with Joy wax is Peaks Moonlight Path and Pink Sugar. But some scents it just doesnt throw well with. I use 1 oz a lb with Joy Wax.

I do read the NG instructions which said to bring it up to 200 degrees then add color, then when it is 165 add FO and then pour - which I do! I don't know what am I doing wrong??

I did read alllll the past threads on joy wax tlc, that is why I am asking bc I can't figure it out.

I got a heat gun and my dh freaked. He thinks I am going to burn the house down:embarasse

Maybe the hot throw will be better than the cold???

What should I be doing now? Do another batch? I only have 6 jars left. How can I practice without wasting jars?

I would say wait a few days and see if some 'cure' time helps!

I don't take wax up that high with fo in it. I am always worried about burning off the fo. I heat to 175-180 add FO, color, uv. Let it cool to about 160 and pour.

You could also be cooling your jars to quickly. Let them cool slow.

If you don't have many jars, I'd only pour one or two at a time, then test burn. You can see what needs adjusted then do a couple more. Once you finish testing them, clean the jars and pour the next test batch.

I don't use that wax, so I can't help with that, sorry.

As for the scent throw, cold throw wont be as strong as hot throw. It's the heat that helps release the scent.