Help with tarts

sandy511

I have always used KY's tart wax & I love it....but the shipping is a killer! Also, I have a case of J225 that I have no use for, so I decided to do some experimenting. I mixed the J225 with votive 4794 at a ratio of 50/50. I am using 1.5 oz. FO per pound. I make my tarts in 2 oz. Souffle cups & with the KY wax they pop right out nicely. These are not popping out at all. They are too soft, yet brittle and breaking when I put them in the freezer. Does that make sense? The first ratio I tried was 75/25 and that was too hard--wouldn't budge from container. (75% 4794, 25% J225)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know if this is any help, but before I switched to KY, I used 4794/415 soy mixed usually 70/30, and it still popped out of the clamshells and burners. I'd throw in a little J223 sometimes, too, but I don't know what % I used. It was a good mix for me, though. The only reason I switched was the convenience of scoopable wax.

I don't use your wax but I use a container wax for mine. I spray a tiny bit of Pam in the cups before pouring, making sure to get it on the bottom and sides. Then I pop them in the freezer until they set. They usually fall right out for me and there is no sign of the Pam on them.

I don't use your wax but I use a container wax for mine. I spray a tiny bit of Pam in the cups before pouring, making sure to get it on the bottom and sides. Then I pop them in the freezer until they set. They usually fall right out for me and there is no sign of the Pam on them.

Thank you--Good advice, but I want to give them away &/or sell them in the souffle cups so I don't want to have to tell the customers to pop them in the freezer before they can melt them :) I am probably better off sticking with what works, I guess--which is the KY tart wax.....just thought I would try my own blend.

Thank you--Good advice, but I want to give them away &/or sell them in the souffle cups so I don't want to have to tell the customers to pop them in the freezer before they can melt them :) I am probably better off sticking with what works, I guess--which is the KY tart wax.....just thought I would try my own blend.

I put them in the freezer right after pouring them. When they set up, they shrink. You don't have to re-freeze them before using them later. I have some that I made a month ago that are still loose in the cup. Your customers wouldn't have to freeze them if you did it right after pouring.

I put them in the freezer right after pouring them. When they set up, they shrink. You don't have to re-freeze them before using them later. I have some that I made a month ago that are still loose in the cup. Your customers wouldn't have to freeze them if you did it right after pouring.

Blonde Moment! Never thought of that! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

What type of cups are you using? I use a paraffin wax and pour right after taking it off the heat w/no problem. Sometimes, it's a little tricky trying to get the lids on w/them filled but other than that I haven't had any problems w/them melting or smelling like plastic. I believe the cups should have a #5 on the bottom or be made out of PET. Mine don't have the 5 but I had the person at the restaurant store look them up and they were made of PET. No problems thus far....