Presto Pot & Test Burns

Hi everyone. A few quick questions that are probably pretty obvious but I'm new so have to ask.

Do I need to set up a double boiler with the presto pot? If not, why not? I thought the purpose of a double boiler was to control more even temps and avoid heating to flash point. This is not a concern with a presto?

Also, how long should I wait to test burn my container candles for burn and throw? I'm using IGI 4630, 1/2 oz FO per pound, one dye chip and 51-32-18-Z wicks.

Thanks.

This is some really good information about why a Presto Pot is so beloved when making candles. Note: this information has been copied directly from the Candle Cauldron website at this address: http://www.candlecauldron.com/prestopot.html

What is a Presto Pot?

If you're a candlemaker looking for an easy and inexpensive way to melt your wax, Presto Pots are a great way to go!

They are called Presto Kitchen Kettles, and you can find them at your local Walmart, Kmart or Target stores for around $20 each. They will hold approx. 6 to 7 lbs of wax, and they melt nice and quick... about 20 minutes and you've got a full batch of wax melted and ready to go! They are made of a thick metal with a non-stick coating, so they clean up real easy... just wipe out the wax residue with paper towel while the pot is still hot (careful not to burn your hand, I wear gardening gloves!). If there seems to be any scent leftover in the pot, try wiping it out with a baby wipe (very handy!). The pots have a temperature dial on them, so you can set your pot to an exact temp, not just low-med-high like on a crock pot. But you still need to check your actual wax temp with a thermometer because the wax inside can be a different temp than what you set the dial on.

Since these pots have a concealed heating element, you can melt wax directly in the pot without having to use water and a second pot inside like a double boiler. The trick is getting your melted wax out of the pot and into your pouring pitcher. Some people prefer to pick up the pot by it's handles and dump the wax carefully into a pitcher. Others prefer to use a ladle or a pyrex measuring cup to scoop out the wax and transfer it into a pitcher. Or another alternative is to install a spigot or faucet onto the pot. This of course involves some know-how and a little more work, but some people have found these to be very handy.

Edited by scifichik
TMI

You don't need double boiler method, just a good thermometer to keep temps correct.

Most people cure container candles a couple of weeks especially soy, but I would think a couple of days with the the 4630 is fine.

Also it depends on the fragrance oil, some are just stronger than others and they require less cure time. HTH

I have one without a spigot that I use as a double boiler to do the repour melt because it is easier for me since I don't have a stove/alternate heat source downstairs in my workshop. I just fill her up with water and pop my pour pots in. That said, for melting unscented "new" wax I just put that right into my prestos with the spigot and melt away. MUCH faster than the double boiler method.

Also, I picked these digital thermometers up at IKEA to keep an eye on the temps. I usually set them about 5-10 degrees cooler than my desired wax temp so they alert me before I get to temp so I can pay closer attention.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406

I have one for each of my prestos as well as one for my big commercial melter.

Also, I picked these digital thermometers up at IKEA to keep an eye on the temps. I usually set them about 5-10 degrees cooler than my desired wax temp so they alert me before I get to temp so I can pay closer attention.

Wow, thanks for the link. One more thing I need to pick up! Actually, I've been looking around for a digital thermometers, but the ones I found are in the $30+ range, so thanks so much for telling me about these IKEA ones. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow!!

ARGH!!!!! That looks beautiful! And not available at our Western Australia IKEA. I need a bunch of digital thermometers and the cheapest I've seen here is $25. Ouch! At least for now I have two digitals with the alarms like you described. I use them the same way... alert me a few degrees in advance of my desired temp.