Help for a novice

Guest Milkmaid

Guest Milkmaid

Good morning all and hello. I have been wanting to make candles for a while.

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to get pouring.

I would like to make simple container candles using 8 oz. jelly jars. Thanks to this site I have found Indiana Candle Supplies and I will be getting my FO and color and wicks ( 51-32-18 I hope this is the right size ? ) from them.

Other than the correct wick size, I have a question about wax.

Wholesale Supplies has what is called Crafters Choice SP that sounds like the perfect choice for me. True one pour blend, no need for additives, etc, etc. Should I go with this wax or are there other options ?

Thanks for your time

Milkmaid

Every person has their own opinion on what is the best wax. My PERSONAL favorite, is J223. I adore it, and find that it works best for me. You might like something else better. My advice is to get samples of bunches of them, and try them to find what you like best. I do enjoy the one pour, additives added. lol! I have never heard of the Crafter's choice, but maybe someone else can chime in.

There are lots of one-pour waxes out there. I use J50 and love it. I would look for a wax from a supplier close to you so that you don't incur lots of huge shipping costs. Just my personal opinion too, but Wholesale Supplieshas terrible shipping prices and so I won't order from them anymore. I always seem to get screwed with their handling fees or whatever it is that makes their shipping so much more expensive. I like Indiana though - great customer service and normal shipping prices. But that's just my opinion.

Guest Milkmaid

Thank you all for responding.

This is the kind of info I needed . I dont have a lot of money for this project but I convinced my hubby that it would be cheaper to make my own candles than to buy them. I also have 3 little girls so keeping things simple is always a big bonus.

Thank you all for responding.

This is the kind of info I needed . I dont have a lot of money for this project but I convinced my hubby that it would be cheaper to make my own candles than to buy them. I also have 3 little girls so keeping things simple is always a big bonus.

LOL........ yeah I thought so too :laugh2: But you'll find out quick enough for yourself....lol

It won't be cheaper in the short run but it'll certainly be rewarding and fun to use a candle you made yourself. As for the wick size, it depends on whether you're using the standard jar or the wide mouth. For the latter, a 51 wick should be about right, but if you're using the skinny ones, you might want to try a size 44 first.

Guest Milkmaid

I'm looking at 8 oz. wide mouth jelly jars.

We have a pretty good second hand store in town so I'm going to try and find jars and some kind of a pour pot ( old coffee pot or something ) there.

I figure that I can make the candles for about $3.50 to $4.00 a piece which is a pretty good deal.

I was at the dollar store today and they had really cruddy, horrible smelling 20 0z jar candles for $6.00.

Hopefully the ones I make will at least smell good ( if they are cruddy I can't blame anyone but myself lol ).

Guest Milkmaid

Thanks for the link Eugenia. After reading the posts here I decided not to go with WSP for any of my supplies. I'm going to get my wax from Bittercreek and everthing else from Indiana candle supply.

Now I need to decide between J50 and J223.

Could some one tell me what the difference is between them?

just a tip, but if you have coffee cans around, those make great pour pots until you can get yourself some. Since alot of people drink coffee, you should be able to get a large amount of cans pretty easily.

Also, jelly jars are usually easy to find, and you can sometimes get very good deals. Look at WalMarts, BigLots, or places like that. Anyway, HTH

I'm looking at 8 oz. wide mouth jelly jars.

We have a pretty good second hand store in town so I'm going to try and find jars and some kind of a pour pot ( old coffee pot or something ) there.

Unless they sell new products, I'd strongly recommend not buying the jars there. You can get them relatively inexpensive at Wal-mart (if in stock) or farm type stores. Used ones you have no way of knowing what's been done to them. Even if you don't see any cracks they may have been weakened by their previous use (a pressure cooker comes to mind). You really don't want one to break and have melted wax go everywhere...

Guest Milkmaid

Thanks for the tip wv. That is my backup plan if the second hand store is a bust.

You are right Satinducky. I was thinking the same thing. I called about 10 stores yesterday and my local grocery store has them in stock for $6.69 a case.

I ordered all wax and supplies yesterday so hopefully I'm going to be making candles this weekend. I just pray they they turn out better than my christmas cookies :embarasse ,but that is a discussion for another board!