citronella candles

Is this something you plan to sell, or just make for your own use? Since most Citronella's are made to smoke w/ a torch-like wick, I don't worry too much about the wax - if it's for my own use only. Kinda like firestarters - just toss in whatever you have & let 'er rip. BUT, if you plan to sell them - I'd stick w/ the quality products.

Susan.

I sell more 'Bug Buster' container candles, but occasionally someone will want a pillar or two and I use the appropriate wax for each, I don't mix pillar and container wax.

I also don't sell them with HUGH wicks. It isn't necessary to have the candle smoke if you use a good bug repellent type scent. I personally use Oregon Trails Bug Off EO blend and it works great in candles and my lotion bars. :cool2:

http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/products.php?cat=9&scat=41

Yes, I would use container wax. And yes, Oregon Trails has a great fo for this use.

On the topic of wicking an outdoor candle, there are several schools of thought & I'd suggest doing a little research to determine what you feel most comfortable w/ for your area. I fully appreciate the MANY people who say an outdoor candle doesn't need to smoke to work properly. I've tried regular wicking & agree that it will put out a nice scent on a patio, but it did nothing to create an actual barrier for bugs in an open area. In the Southern States the mosquito is often joked to be the state bird -- they're horrible! Also, wind is a REAL issue here, so regular wicks just won't stay lit. For these reasons, I find it essential to have a wrapped wick that will not only smoke, but will stay lit. Chris is an experienced candle maker & you may be better following her direction. I'm just offering that this is what I've tested for several yrs & found to be what works best for the conditions of Texas. There are MANY posts on this topic, so you may want to pour a drink & do some reading.

HTH - Susan.

It isn't necessary to have the candle smoke if you use a good bug repellent type scent. I personally use Oregon Trails Bug Off EO blend and it works great in candles and my lotion bars. :cool2:

http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/products.php?cat=9&scat=41

I thought that for these candles, you used the actual citronella FO. Am I wrong? I have never made them and was going to make them this summer.

Edited by CandleMama6

I thought that for these candles, you used the actual citronella FO. Am I wrong? I have never made them and was going to make them this summer.

You can still use just citronella, but I personally don't like the smell alone and it didn't work on the biting flies we get here in late spring, early summer. A combination of EO's works much, much better and the Oregon Trails EO blend smells good and is very effective. My SIL is allergic to the little black flies and since she's been using my lotion bar with the EO's combo, she can enjoy the outdoors again, no bites.

Like Susan said try big smoking wicks and just regular wicking and see what works for you. I know there are lots of posts in the candle and the fragrance sections, so sit back and enjoy the hunt! :cool2: