Question about reusing glass containers...

Hi all, I am sooo happy to have found this forum! I just started making candles in November (ostensibly for Christmas gifts) but the whole thing has snowballed on me!

My question is this, I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning, mostly under wicking containers, and now I have a bunch of apothecary & mason jars with lots of wax left in them but no wick left (major tunneling!). If I use a double boiler to melt the wax out can I reuse these containers? I'm thinking a concern about reusing containers would be that heating the glass while the candle burns (with a full melt pool) might compromise the integrity of the container if there are any weak spots in the material, but since these have a wall of wax next to the glass maybe it's ok?

Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Linda maybe it's because I'm new? I don't think I'm allowed to pm either! I know Berthoud, I used to live in Ft. Collins b4 I moved to the Denver area.

[Edited to add] I went to my profile and checked to receive messages from other members, so maybe it'll work now. I know I can't pm until met certain criteria, so I'm not sure I will be able to respond!

Edited by mzpickles

Hi all, I am sooo happy to have found this forum! I just started making candles in November (ostensibly for Christmas gifts) but the whole thing has snowballed on me!

My question is this, I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning, mostly under wicking containers, and now I have a bunch of apothecary & mason jars with lots of wax left in them but no wick left (major tunneling!). If I use a double boiler to melt the wax out can I reuse these containers? I'm thinking a concern about reusing containers would be that heating the glass while the candle burns (with a full melt pool) might compromise the integrity of the container if there are any weak spots in the material, but since these have a wall of wax next to the glass maybe it's ok?

Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I can't speak for the apothecary jars as I haven't used those, but I've done several meltdown/repours with the jelly jars. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and put in a warm oven, and let the wax melt. You can recapture that wax for whatever you want, then wash your jars in hot, soapy water and after they are dry---they are ready to use again.

Also, as an FYI, if you hot glue your wick tabs into your jars, this is a good time to get some needle-nose pliers and remove the tab----the hot glue is soft and pliable at this stage.

I reuse my apothecary and mason jars all the time. If there is a lot of wax in them then I just heat the jar on low in my oven until all the wax melts then carefully pour it out.

To clean out the jars put them upsidedown on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet with the jars in a low oven for about 15 minutes. All the residual wax will melt onto the paper towels.

Jars that I have reheated I reuse to test new candles. I don't sell a heated candle jar.

Also, as an FYI, if you hot glue your wick tabs into your jars, this is a good time to get some needle-nose pliers and remove the tab----the hot glue is soft and pliable at this stage.

Thanks! I was sort of wondering what to do about that! My earliest candles I used the stickums and those have been easy to deal with, the later ones I used hot glue and I was afraid those weren't going to budge!

I reuse my tester jars all the time...I just put them on a candle warmer and pour the left over wax in another new wicked jar...after several times doing this I end up with a surprise candle, that I usually give to family. They never know what scents they are but have fun guessing.:confused:

I do not ever reuse jars for sale because you never know if the integrity of the jar has been compromised, thats a chance I'm not willing to take.

Jars that I have reheated I reuse to test new candles. I don't sell a heated candle jar.

Thanks Candybee [Edit] & Isbennis! I do this for myself & family, no selling (yet!) so at this point I'm good (if I give a candle away I make sure it's a new container!). If I ever do sell I'll remember your advice.

Edited by mzpickles

• 2 weeks later...