Holes near wick

Hey guys, so I just got finished making a batch of candles, and a recurring problem I have is that holes are being created next to the wick. This has happened with actually all the jars I have used. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I use eco-soya advanced wax, eco 10 wicks, block dyes and fragrance oils from Lone Star.

I tried taking a heat gun to it, and it melted the crack away, but as it cooled it formed again. Maybe it is cooling down too quickly?

I read that the problem may also possibly be due to bubbles in the wax, but as far as I have seen there have not been any. Also, does anyone have any tools or tips I can use to get an exact amount in each of my jars without using a scale? Thanks in advance! :smiley2:

post-11801-139458463969_thumb.jpg

post-11801-139458463974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Farion

I've been having the same problem for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm doing everything the same as I've done successfully since taking up candle making in November, the only thing different I guess is a new batch of wax. As far as cooling too slow, I've poured in colder temps (in CO) and the only effect I saw from that was the wax cracked. A lot easier to fix than these cave-ins around the wick that keep reappearing. Your hole is tiny compared to the craters I've been getting! :shocked2:

Edited by mzpickles

It looks to me like your candles are cooling to fast. I get this sometimes when I try a new container, have to get used to the pour temp and cooling the candle slower slower. I cool those same jars in my toaster oven. Heat it up a little and turn off for cooling. Hope that helps.

Mpickles, where in Colorado? I'm north of Denver about 30 miles.

Linda

I use this same wax and here is my solution to this problem. Basically, the wax is cooling and pulling to the side leaving a cavity near the wick. You will need to open the top and fill the cavity with hot wax. I use thin wooden or metal stick to open it up. I use a hot gun evenly around the edges until the hole is filled. I try not to get the edges too hot since it may cause some issues with sides of the jars. I don't have to do this with every jar and I don't ever have an issue with tins. It makes a really nice smooth top and it look great, but the time is a factor.

There are some who just accept this problem and do a repour every time (aka poke relief holes and pour to fill the holes) some who heatgun every time, and those of us who just had to find the right groove/process to avoid it altogether. For me, thats setting my oven to 170, letting it heat up, then turning it off for at least 30 min before putting my poured candles in. For my oven, that leaves it at around 90*.

I place both my racks in the center of the oven, place my jars on the racks with at least an inch inbetween them, this lets the air circulate for even cooling. I dont open the oven for 3 hours at least, opening and closing causes rapid temp change. bad news bears.

occasionally I will get one or two holes on the ones on the outside, but not nearly as often and its only one or two instead of all 30-40. Thats whats worked for me, but it takes alot of testing to find what works.

My room temp is not always consistent, so I second poor is the WTG for me.

I save wax from the batch I am making, then I heat it up and do a second pour after my candles have cooled.

I either do this later that night, or the next morning.

No poking, just pouring. Works like a charm for me. :cheesy2:

Hi :)

I found this exact problem if I poured my candles at too hot a temperature. If I pour my candles into the jars at around 120-125 degrees, I don't have this problem...

Oh, and I use the exact same wax you use.

I hope this helps!!