6006 help please!

Hi there...been pouring and testing 6006 in 16 oz apothecary jars (by request) thru a wick recommender...I am using eco 8s....1 oz scent, wax heated to 195, color added...fragrace added...stirred 3 minutes....cooled to 150....tops were a little sunk...heat gun fixed..

Test burns no smoking or soot, but a dancin flame! LOL...ct and ht great! Should I be concerned about the flickering...and why would it flicker?

Also, what is the best way to pour without sinking tops?? should I pour cooler...warm jars...or just plan to re-pour?? sorry I tried to find these answers but I just get more confused!:confused:

I use 6006 and for those jars, I heat to 185-195, add dye and stir, add FO and stir then pour. You pour this wax hotter than you would others. It will sink if it cools fast. No need to heat jars either.

I gather my jars together after I've poured, the slower they cool the better.

I use CD 14's in that jar two (2 of them) and if kept trimmed to 1/4" burn wonderfully.

You don't pour this wax like you would a straight soy, it requries higher pouring temps and slow cooling. I even add 15% additional soy.

HTH

Carrie

Edited by candlelady

thank you Carrie!!

I also just figured out that I am using an eco 8 and it should be an eco 10...guess I can't read...LOL.

What temp do you recommend pouring at?? do you just stir for 3 minutes then pour? sorry, I don't know too many candlers to bug with my pesky questions!

hi Stella!

my standard apothecary jars have a 4" diameter.....I thought 2 wicks sounded like a lot for that small of jar! but I will try anything.....once!!

having trouble finding a supplier that carries both eco and cds....without having to buy 100 of each!

I thought 2 wicks sounded like a lot for that small of jar!
Carrie is not alone in using multiple wicks for that size/style container - 3.5 - 4 inchers are where people start having a lotta trouble single wicking. I'd have to step up to a CDN 18-22 if single wicking NatureWax C3 in a 4" container!! Multiple wicking didn't surprise me - I was just surprised at the size used because I use a single CDN 12-14 in a 3.25" container... but different waxes & FOs & additives often take different size/type wicks to work... just depends on one's entire system. :)
having trouble finding a supplier that carries both eco and cds....without having to buy 100 of each!
I totally understand! Good to keep a range of sizes/types on hand, just in case... Lone Star has sampler packs of both types so you don't have to buy a metric ton of any one wick only to find it's the wrong size!! *faint* HTH :D Edited by Stella1952

thanks stella....I guess I just have tons more to learn!!! my brain is gonna explode...I would love to find one wick that would wick these nicely...my eco 8 almost does....but not all the way to the edges after my power burn....

so, have got it quite figured yet....thanks for the info about lonestar, I will check there :bow:

Add 10 to 15% soy wax to the 6006 and the sinking will stop.

You are working that wax way too hard. Add color & FO and give it a good stir with a whisk. Stirring for 3 minutes has to be putting a ton of air in your wax. You only need to heat your jars if your shop is cold... like really cold. Also no need to cool this wax to 150... Pour it hot. Once it has set up poke the tops of the candles a couple times with a skewer to see if you have any hidden air pockets. Lightly heat gun to top to fill in the little holes you made.. and be done with it :)

Also I prefer HTPs and cotton wicks for that wax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok, finally got some more $$ and got my cd wicks....double wicked my 16 oz jar with cd 14s as helpfully suggested! the throw is fantastic!! the collar of my jar is a little toasty tho....and will I be looking for the same basic results with the double wick as single (i,e, fmp with in so long, etc)???

I hope these work, or I may literally go crazy...:P

ok, finally got some more $$ and got my cd wicks....double wicked my 16 oz jar with cd 14s as helpfully suggested! the throw is fantastic!! the collar of my jar is a little toasty tho....and will I be looking for the same basic results with the double wick as single (i,e, fmp with in so long, etc)???

I hope these work, or I may literally go crazy...:P

If they don't try the 2 htp 83's if its a light color or oil or try 2 51C if its a heavy oil or you are adding lots of color. :)

Have a great day!

Chele