Oops Frozen lye water

quietgirl2004

Last weekend I made 2 batches of soap that I have made before. I usually put my lye water in the garage over night and soap at room temperature and have no problems. Well, we had a lot colder weather here in AZ than normal and I didn't think about the fact the garage was a lot colder. My lye did not freeze but it was very cool. Anyways, my soap traced so fast, I didn't even have enough time to thoroughly add much color. I had to scoop the soap into the mold. I ended up tossing the soap in the trash because I hated it, what a waste of oils! :sad2:

I would wait until the lye water warms up to room temperature before using.

Last weekend I made 2 batches of soap that I have made before. I usually put my lye water in the garage over night and soap at room temperature and have no problems. Well, we had a lot colder weather here in AZ than normal and I didn't think about the fact the garage was a lot colder. My lye did not freeze but it was very cool. Anyways, my soap traced so fast, I didn't even have enough time to thoroughly add much color. I had to scoop the soap into the mold. I ended up tossing the soap in the trash because I hated it, what a waste of oils! :sad2:

I would wait until the lye water warms up to room temperature before using.

Same thing happened to me last night but it was a false trace for me... once I blended really well and it warmed up it went liquid again, and took another 15 minutes to trace.

It will be fine. Just ensure when it thaws that it is completely mixed/dissolved before adding it to your oils.

What I normally do (when I'm making wine soap, my lye mix is very very cold/slushy even) is add the lye to the oils which are a touch higher than I'd normally work with (so, 120/125 instead of 115 or lower).

The ONLY time I've had problems is when I don't ensure that the lye and wine is mixed thoroughly, or if the wine is too cold when adding the lye to it, then it may not blend correctly giving me undissolved crystals.

It;s a learning curve. :)