3" pillar wick

Hello all. my first time on this forum. I mostly make votives, just because they are soooo easy, but I have decided to get back into pillars. My question is what is the best size wick for a 3" pillar (a gift for my sister) I have the square braid wicks, and a few of the LX series. I use 1242 wax, probably about a tablespoon of vybar, and how much stearic acid?????? I put 1 tablespoon of scent per pound. What size wick would you suggest????

Thanks

:yay:

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

I've not used that wax, so I can't be of definate help. Didn't I just read lately that it only in Canada? Anyway, many here use 24 or 30 ply flat for the 3" pillars. Seems like that's similar in size to #1 or 1/0 in square, but I'm not positive. Just a note... You probably wont get a very strong scent throw with that little fo. Standard is about 1oz pp. I'm guessing you're speaking in terms of a pound of wax. If so a tablespoon of vybar is way to much. Unless it's a different kind. You only need .5 to 1 teaspoon pp. Stearic is usually at 3 tablespoons if you're wanting a mottle, but not sweating. Using vybar, I see no need for the stearic myself.

Thanks for the info.......... could you tell me how much in terms of spoon fulls one ounce would be?? Approx??? I really don't make that big of batches at once. Now that I think of it (probably has been a year since I did pillars) I think I did use only 1 teaspoon of vybar.

Gotta tell you that I love this site, lots of info here and tonnes of great ideas...... it has inspired me to get back into the pillars, try out a few new things.......

I guess most of you are from the US, I am from British Columbia, up in Canada.

Anyways, thanks again and nice to meet you.

Must be in Canada. When I first bought 1242, I used that much vybar too (think that came with some mold instructions), but have cut it back to 1 tsp.pp and could probably cut back even more. With 1 tbsp pp, have found that the candle seems very hard. With the smaller amount it seems creamier. Also, have found that I need more FO than was suggested by the suppliers when I first bought FO. You need to measure your FO by weight. Don't know where you bought your FOs from, but with the ones I buy locally 1/2 pp usually works well with this wax but you have to test them to find out.

Thanks for the info.......... could you tell me how much in terms of spoon fulls one ounce would be?? Approx??? I really don't make that big of batches at once. Now that I think of it (probably has been a year since I did pillars) I think I did use only 1 teaspoon of vybar.

Gotta tell you that I love this site, lots of info here and tonnes of great ideas...... it has inspired me to get back into the pillars, try out a few new things.......

I guess most of you are from the US, I am from British Columbia, up in Canada.

Anyways, thanks again and nice to meet you.

HI Can not help with the vybar But as for FO,

Actually there is a a way to measure,,go to www.candlecauldron.com and they have it all broke down,, 1Oz = 2 Tablespoons per pound of wax,,,,I have been using this method for some time now,,,If you have a heavy scented FO such as Hot Cocoa you would only use 1/2 Oz = 1 Tablespoon of FO. This is a topic that has been ongoing forever it seems and we all have our little different ways that work for us. Now I tested this myself when I looked @ Candle Cauldron because I wanted to be sure,,,And if I think a FO may be to heavy I weigh it,,,HTH

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!