Wick Trouble

I have been using CDN wicks since October and did not have any trouble. This last order (placed end of december) of 10, 12, and 14's are not burning correctly. I'm not doing anything different however they are tunneling horribly. It doesn't matter what scent I use or jar they all will only give me about a nickel to quarter size melt pool and then tunnel. Anyone else having trouble?

I use GB 464 with 1% USA

1-1.25 FO per Pd

Tumbler: CDN10 or 12

10 and 16 oz Apothecary: CDN 14.

Thank You!

I hadn't called yet, I thought I would check with you guys first. My 5 oz apothecary burn beautifully with the 10's, and those are from the same order. It must just be the 12's and 14's.

I will call tomorrow.

What size CDN wicks do you all use for your 7.5 oz tumblers and your 10 and 16 oz apothcary's?

What size CDN wicks do you all use for your 7.5 oz tumblers and your 10 and 16 oz apothcary's?

What diameter are those containers?

do you double wick those ?

I wouldn't think a double wick would be necessary on a 7.5 oz. tumbler, but I don't know about the others... I'd probably try to single wick them, but many folks double wick containers over 3" or so...

I don't know what area you live but I have found that I have to wick hotter in the Winter season in Ohio because of the colder temps.

Me too! I usually wick up a size for soy in the winter. Here, the inside temps can be 60°F in the winter and 80°+ in the summer, not to mention if they are burned on a porch where the temperature range might be between 50°F and 90°F *faint*

I wouldn't think a double wick would be necessary on a 7.5 oz. tumbler, but I don't know about the others... I'd probably try to single wick them, but many folks double wick containers over 3" or so...

I wasn't talking about those .. I was talking about the apothcary mentioned in the other post

I use GB 464 with 1% USA

1-1.25 FO per Pd

Tumbler: CDN10 or 12

10 and 16 oz Apothecary: CDN 14.

I have double wicked with cdn 8's. they burn nicely but would rather single wick.

Right now i am using cdn 16's and 18's and its going well for my apothecary.

Thank You.

lucky you:yay: I tried with 415 to single wick my apothecary jars with no luck . I double wick with 10, 12 and even 14 s

My most stubborn fo is cinnamon nutmeg & clove. i think i will need a 20 in my apothecary! I still don't know what went wrong with my wicks.

I will just retest everything to make sure :(. Now i feel like i have to test each new wick order that comes in. Does anyone else do this just to make sure? I gave up on the 7.5 oz tumbler. No matter what cdn wick i tried they tunneled halfway down then would start burning even with a really deep melt pool...so at first it seemed I needed to wick up, then seemed like wick was too big:confused: Those jars and their lids r way too expensive anyway.

I had a great deal of trouble last week . It was so weird. I was testing 5 spring and summer scents. Every single one burned nice. Some how they all had a very large amount of soot on them after they cooled. I had never seen that before. There was a layer of soot on each and every one. My sex on the beach is white so it looked so gross. I burned them to the end anyway and they all burned nice. I was so creeped out by that first day that I made them all over again and re-did the test . today was the first day and no soot. go figure:confused:

I had a great deal of trouble last week . It was so weird. I was testing 5 spring and summer scents. Every single one burned nice. Some how they all had a very large amount of soot on them after they cooled. I had never seen that before. There was a layer of soot on each and every one. My sex on the beach is white so it looked so gross. I burned them to the end anyway and they all burned nice. I was so creeped out by that first day that I made them all over again and re-did the test . today was the first day and no soot. go figure:confused:

Is this what you are talking about? I posted about a similar problem with a picture here:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89339

Edited by IwantItgreen

Is this what you are talking about? I posted about a similar problem with a picture here:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89339

YES but worse :angry2:

How are you doing with that problem?

Not sure if you meant me but it's better this week. For the life of me I can figure what happened all of them looked like that . re-testing this week. Everthing the same. testing in the same room too. so far so good.:confused:

Originally Posted by IwantItgreen viewpost.gif

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89339

How are you doing with that problem?

Top, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I did pour another tester yesterday 6% FO. I will update the other thread when I test it. I'll do that on Monday.

Edited by IwantItgreen

Not sure this will help BUT....if a supplier does not use the same source for the finished wicks each time OR you change suppliers and that supplier buys from one company and the other another the same size wick can and will burn differently.

The tension the tabbing equipment places on the wicks can cause huge variables in how they burn. Also the wax coating can make some difference but usually only enough that it may alter the height of the wick when it hits the wax.

Just food for thought. It is best to always buy your wicks from a reliable source that is always purchasing from a steady feed. :)