Is this really safe?

One of the items I make is novelty pillars. I do alot of reading in alot of places to track current trends. One of the hottest things in home decor right now is log pillars...candles wrapped in birch bark to look like a section of a tree branch. I've checked alot of sites that offer these...they're selling for a small fortune, but at least 99.9% of them are wrapped in REAL tree bark. I would think that this is a totally unsafe candle. I mean...wood in a flamed item?! And alot of people use bark as firestarters, so what's the difference wrapping a candle in one, even if the candle is wicked to burn within the bark, some of these puppies are 9" tall! I would think as the candle burns down, the flame might come into direct contact with the bark. Wouldn't it be smarter to use candle safe paint to simulate bark? I love the look, but I don't know how these larger candle stores are getting away with selling these, and apparently selling alot!

If you ask this question on a message board full on candlemakers, you'll probably get a lot of people saying it's unsafe. That can be a knee-jerk reaction though. There are some respectable chains selling these, so I suspect they are safer than they might look.

With clever design and testing I don't think it has to be a fire hazard. For any given wick, there's a limit to the size of the flame it can sustain before the excess curls over and burns off. If you combine the right paraffin with a smallish wick, it can burn down the center without drowning and with no realistic chance for anything to catch on fire.

I haven't burned one, but if I had to bet money I'd guess they are fine.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Nope they are not safe IMO and this is something I looked into extensively because I too LOVED the look, and in fact have been recalled many times. Target, Kmart, and a few others held giant recalls because they caught fire.

I can see wrapping a glass container in the birch bark but I get angry when I see just the pillars wrapped in it because all I can think is... if its been recalled that many times from other suppliers.. how are they able to continue selling them?

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05207.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08083.html

http://www.fire.state.mn.us/recalls/MarthaStewartEverydayBrandBirchCandleSetRecall.htm

I love how they look too, but I dont consider ANY of them safe. Sure we could take precautions but ANY time you are selling a candle to a customer... you have to consider worst case scenario.

What I have seen that I think is a really nice alternative is when large holes are drilled into the logs and used as candle holders, with glass votive holders or so on set into them so there is no chance the candle flame can come into contact with the wood. Its just too risky to me. Wood + Flame = Fire. lol

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Obviously, I think it's unsafe because the general public contains complete idiots who shouldn't be trusted even with matches and it'd be my luck to sell to one of them!!!

I make things like that for myself and it works out fine, but I'd never make one for anyone else because I do NOT want the responsibility nor the liability!!!

What you CAN do if you like the look of a real bark candle is make a mold of a log yourself. It is NOT difficult and the results are quite pleasing!! With a little artful coloring, the candle will look just as real as a real log. The technique is called faux bois - literally, false wood - and is done in many different media (concrete, plaster, wax, clay, paint, etc.). Seems like there was a Martha video on this... lemme look...

AHA!! Here it is, on the Smooth-On website...

http://www.smooth-on.com/Candlemaking/c1237/index.html

Edited by Stella1952

I like the idea of a pillar candle looking like a log. Sounds pretty and rustic at the same time.

I agree with others that the real thing; bark surrounding a burning candles sounds mighty unsafe.

The inventive thing would be to recreate nature by making the wax appear to be bark of some type tree. Now that I would like to see.

What you CAN do if you like the look of a real bark candle is make a mold of a log yourself. It is NOT difficult and the results are quite pleasing!! With a little artful coloring, the candle will look just as real as a real log. The technique is called faux bois - literally, false wood - and is done in many different media (concrete, plaster, wax, clay, paint, etc.). Seems like there was a Martha video on this... lemme look...

AHA!! Here it is, on the Smooth-On website...

http://www.smooth-on.com/Candlemaking/c1237/index.html

I have some of this at home and its great stuff! You have to be sure sure sure that your item is completely coated in sealant before you pour your silicone but other than that its pretty simple.. I would love to see someone make some log candles! I dont make pillars but maybe someday

I remembered, and found the link, to someone making faux bois silicone molds. For tapers, in this case:

4333341946_14382d233b_o.jpg

(scorpinn on eBay)

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the companies out there wouldn't make a wood pillar mold.

Be really nice to do it as a hurricane shell.

Yes, radellaf I already own some of those molds and make those tapers, especially for my own mountain cabin. They are very popular in the gift stores there.

I am in the process of getting a 3" diameter mold made for a larger pillar. I was just totally surprised when I did some researching into this, that most sellers are actually selling candles wrapped in real wood!:shocked2: As the links that LuminousBoutique posted show, too many people have been hurt by those, as well as too much property loss. I still can't believe the price that they get for pillars wrapped in bark that can cause so much damage. I personally think they are very dangerous, and as Stella pointed out, the liability issue with these is too great. When I get the mold, I will use other mediums to simulate bark, if needed. After I get something tested, I'll be sure to post pictures. I'm sure something can be created that looks just as good as the real thing, and it will be much more fun creating!:yay:

I would also add that birch is considerably more flammable than most barks. I hiked the Appalachian Trail last year and when it was wet we all looked for birch bark because it and the dead/lower limbs on pine trees were the only things that would get a fire going. If for some reason you do attempt this, I would definetely not use birch.

• 2 weeks later...