Test Burn on First Soy Candle

I used C3 wax, No FO, CDN 8, wick in 8 oz Jelly Jar, heated Wax to 160 poured at 130 in unwarmed jars.

[ATTACH]18743[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18744[/ATTACH] After 1 hr Burn time

[ATTACH]18746[/ATTACH] After 2 hr Burn Time

[ATTACH]18749[/ATTACH] After 2 1/2 Burn time

[ATTACH]18750[/ATTACH] I find the flame is to high maybe someone can chime in .

I put the candle out let it get solid again and did second Burn

Results

[ATTACH]18753[/ATTACH]

post-11654-139458462319_thumb.jpg[/ATTACH]

This at the 2 1/2 hr burn time

This what the wick looks like after the second burn, Trimmed after each burn

post-11654-139458462301_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462304_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462307_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462309_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462313_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462317_thumb.jpg

post-11654-139458462331_thumb.jpg

What length did you trim the wick before the burns? 1/4" is plenty long enough. What's the inside diameter of the container?

Personally, I think the burn is looking pretty good. Because CDs & CDNs have a self-trimming stance, they burn hotter on the side of the curl. You need to keep the heat centered in the container to prevent a lopsided burn, which may require turning the container during the burn or recentering the wick at the end of each burn period.

From your photos, the flame doesn't look objectionably high, considering where it is in the container.

Keep on burnin'. How's the top looking after it cools? Nice & smooth? Any frosting around the edges of the MP?

Good job! :yay:

Stella ,

I trimmed the wick with a wick trimmer that I used on my paraffin candles to 1/4. The flame does seem better on my 3 Round of Burn time. It still has not reached a full melt pool ,which is fine if I get a great scent throw with the one I poured yesterday, I like the wax so far but I know it is still early.... The tops are smooth after the candle cools.

I do make sure the wick is centered before each burn.

Thanks so much for your input:)

The cold throw in the one I poured yesterday is awesome I hope the hot throw is as well.

It's nice to compare how it burns with and without FO; we seldom do that. The real test will be when you try it with fragrance oil though. The burn rate may change and the wax may melt differently. At that point you'll have a better idea how close you are with the wicking.

You might want to burn it for 3 hours at a time to start with--that would be a more typical test. Once you have a promising design you can to burn it down 4 hours at a time also. Eventually, an 8 hour power burn. Make sure to wait at least 3 hours for it to cool down between burns too.

Looking good!

During a test burn I like to touch the side of the glass at several places above the melt pool to ensure the glass is not too hot. I have had occassions when the melt pool and flame height seemed right, but the glass was way too hot. I found this to be the case more with square braid.

What length did you trim the wick before the burns? 1/4" is plenty long enough. What's the inside diameter of the container?

Personally, I think the burn is looking pretty good. Because CDs & CDNs have a self-trimming stance, they burn hotter on the side of the curl. You need to keep the heat centered in the container to prevent a lopsided burn, which may require turning the container during the burn or recentering the wick at the end of each burn period.

From your photos, the flame doesn't look objectionably high, considering where it is in the container.

Keep on burnin'. How's the top looking after it cools? Nice & smooth? Any frosting around the edges of the MP?

Good job! :yay:

I agree with Stella, your candle is burning very well. I don't think the flame is too big and no big melt pool. What made you pour at that temp? Well done

Circle , By the time I poured the wax to my pour pitcher it dropped so fast on me ,and when I looked at the temp it was 130 so I poured.

I have since been some good tips about placing my pour pot on a griddle to keep it warm until I'm reday to pour.

havent got around to it,been under teh weather with a head cold Argggg.Hopefully I will fill better soon so I can start my testing again.

As I recall, it was mighty dang cold the day you poured that one! Sorry you're feelin crummy - I know the weather today didn't help - what a MISERABLE, rainy, cold day it was here!! I hadda drive around in all that rain earlier today!! UGH!! Makes it tough to throw off this crappy cold that's been hanging onto me the past week or so... All I care is that I'm well on Sunday so I can go watch the Superbowl with lots of insane fellow WhoDats!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Yes Stella you are correct it was pretty cold that day. I too can seem to get rid of this dreaded head cold,still cant smell a thing, How we take our senses for granted.Hope you get to feeling better soon.I'm so ready for the Super Bowl. Like my 2 yr old grandaughter says GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Who Dat fan too.

Yep same here,So proud of our Saints. Who Dat said they were going to beat them Saits...... Still cant smell a thing,never had anything like this before ,just seems to linger and linger.Arggg want to test burn my candles for HT, Well they should be good and cured by the time I test them Ha Ha