How Hard is Hard soap?

fuzled

I've made only a couple of batches of soap, and I'm now realizing how agonizing it is to wait for it to cure fully. My oldest bar is now the gentle age of 14 days old. The newest 7 days. I have lovingly been turning them to cure evenly, and the 14 day old soap is pretty hard. (it's tallow based). But I'm starting to wonder what fully hardened soap feels like. The only other experience I really have is with commercial soaps.

I know when I cut my CP soap from the mold it's sorta like cutting cheese.. But can anyone describe how hard the soap will eventually get? Anything I can compare it to?

Thanks!

edit for poor spelling!

Edited by fuzled

If your recipe has lard in it, depending on the amount, it will probably be a pretty hard bar. When I make "lye soap" I use 85% lard and 15% canola oil (just so the bar doesn't get harder than a brick and chip and break when cutting).

You could cut a 1/2 inch piece off the bottom of one of your bars and see just how far the bar has cured. You may be able to see a difference in color and probably a difference in the texture in there - -

Hope that helps!

depends on the recipe, honestly. I do a water reduc on some of my soaps, and they are hard as a brick in less than a week.

Personally I think you should be able to press down hard with your thumb on the center of the bar after cure (4-6 weeks) and not be able to make a significant dent. I dont really know what to compare it to though. Since you mentioned cheese.. perhaps a very aged parmesan? I trim the edges of my bars because some can be almost sharp when cured.

Cure is simply reducing the water content.. your soap is (generally) safe to use after cutting (especially if you have checked the PH and done a zap test) but I wouldn’t use it because the more water it has in it, the quicker its going to waste away in the shower or bath... but the longer you cure it the harder it will become and the more water it will lose. It also depends on how much water you use in your recipe. The more water, the longer it will take the evap. out.

It really does depend on the recipe. A castile will be hard as rock after a good cure. When they are cured they should be fairly hard, but not as hard as commercial triple milled soap.

I just read a thread somewhere that a young girl said she liked Lush , because if the soap was soft and bendable it was "fresh" lol

It really does depend on the recipe. A castile will be hard as rock after a good cure. When they are cured they should be fairly hard, but not as hard as commercial triple milled soap.

I just read a thread somewhere that a young girl said she liked Lush , because if the soap was soft and bendable it was "fresh" lol

LOL! I came across a lady once at a craft fair selling brand new CP soaps, telling people "dont use ti until "xx/xx/xx" I was so mad at her.. Obviously I couldnt say much, because I didnt want to make a local enemy.. but I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

if your recipe has oils in it that result in a hard bar..

in 2 wks to 4 wks..it should be getting really hard..

i personallly don't like to use my soap before 2 wks..

and i like to wait 4 wks..but sometimes the resistance is

just to hard..

but a 2 wk old bar will be more harsh that a 4 wk old bar..

the longer cure time makes for better hardness...milder....and more bubbly bar..

i have soaps that are 2 yrs old +..and they are lovely to use...