Scented Tarts and shots

xxxtennillexxx

I'm thinking about trying some tarts or shooters...I have a couple questions though...I've seen on Etsy where many people are selling them in the aluminum foil cupcake papers. Can the wax be poured right in the papers or does it need to be poured into a mold or something first? I'd like to do the shooter type but I'm having issues finding the right kind of containers w/o purchasing a ton of them.

I read that GFS will sometimes do special orders for them but I was wandering if I would have to buy a whole case of them? One of my main reasons for wanting to try them is b/c if I pour my wax 1lb at a time to test new FOs I have enough to pour 2 1/2 of my jars. I usually just pour the rest in another jar until it's filled but if I can pour it into some type of tart for my warmer I'd rather do that.

Also, if I am able to find the containers or if it's ok to pour into the cupcake liners will it be ok using my current container wax (Wow Wax from NG)?

I'm thinking about trying some tarts or shooters...I have a couple questions though...I've seen on Etsy where many people are selling them in the aluminum foil cupcake papers. Can the wax be poured right in the papers or does it need to be poured into a mold or something first?

I think its safe to assume they put the papers in a cupcake mold first... otherwise I wouldnt think the paper would be strong enough to hold up to the heat and pressure of the wax.

I'd like to do the shooter type but I'm having issues finding the right kind of containers w/o purchasing a ton of them.

you can ask at local restaurant suppliers and local restaurants as well.. I know someone on here was able to buy at least a hundred or so from a local restaurant just to try them out. There is a store in my hometown called 'cash and carry' and they have these types of things for super cheap... most larger cities have at least a few restaurant supply shops, just see if they are open to the public.

good luck

I poured straight into foil liners (not paper) without using a tin.

hth,

Trudi

Ditto... Just don't let them touch each other, cause they will draw the wax out. Every time someone new pours tarts they try fitting more on a tray and push them right next to each other. It only takes once, when you see all the wax on the tray and not in the cups you know, MOM is always right.

PS,, I think Kentucky Candle Wax has them for sale. Both the foil cups and the plastic cups. I don't see them on her site but call her she might still have some in stock. Be sure to get the one with the 5 in the diamond on the bottom.

Edited by Sharon in KY

I think its safe to assume they put the papers in a cupcake mold first... otherwise I wouldnt think the paper would be strong enough to hold up to the heat and pressure of the wax.

I believe she set the paper "cups" into a cupcake pan before filling them. Even with real cupcakes, they wouldn't hold up to the pressure of the batter without doing so.

I believe she set the paper "cups" into a cupcake pan before filling them. Even with real cupcakes, they wouldn't hold up to the pressure of the batter without doing so.

If using just paper cup cake cups then you have to have a cup cake pan. But if the cups have both paper and foil then no pan is need. Most times they hold great but if the cups are already expanded too much then they might expand and miss shape.

I purchase the ones from KY (when I can't find them locally at my Publix grocery store) -- I line them up on the table and pour away. I do not set them in any type of pan or mold. They are strong enough to hold the wax on their own (keep in mind that I keep both parts in tact, paper and foil)

HTH

OK, so I found the portion cups at a local supply store. I made some candles last night and poured the excess wax into the portion cups. What I didn't think through is "How will I get the wax out to put in my melter?" Since the wax I have is a container wax (NG-Wow Wax) it did what it's supposed to and stuck to the sides and bottom of the container! UGH! Luckily I only did a handful before realizing. I popped 1 in the freezer this morning for about 5-10 minutes and it pulled away so that I could pop it out. My question is...Will putting them in the freezer for 10 minutes affect the strength of the FO? Do you think that if I put them in the freezer right after pouring it would eliminate the problem? I know that I really need is a different type of wax but my point for pouring into the portion cups is b/c I always have leftover when I try sample scents (I only do 1lb at a time) and I wanted to put them to good use. Are there any tricks out there that I can do to help remove container wax from the portion cups w/o hurting the FO? I guess I might have to have those multiple scent, calico candles if not! :smiley2:

BTW...this is for personal use, will not be selling these!

So I found an easier way to get them out (other than puching up from the bottom and ultimately crushing the container). I tried putting a tiny bit of Pam on my finger and spreading it inside the container. It mostly just needs to be in the very bottom. Then, I pour the the wax into them and stick them straight in the freezer. It only takes about 15 minutes for the wax to cool and when it sets up the sides are already pulled away from the container. The little bit of Pam makes the bottom come right out too. I've even had a few that I can just tip upsided down the wax falls right out. :thumbsup:

AGAIN, I make these for my personal use! I've tried melting them and the Pam doesn't seem to affect them in any way. Not sure if it can affect them after time but for short-term it works great! Anyone know if the Pam can have adverse affects after some time??

• 2 weeks later...

I am wanting to start making tarts also and we were trying it out in just some little 2 oz. plastic to go containers with lids that we use for barbecue sauce for to go orders at our restaurant. Some popped right out and some seemed really soft (the wax) and didn't want to come out in one piece. Is there possibly like a silicone spray or something that you can put in the containers to keep the wax from sticking? flowerbaby424@aol.com. Thank you for your help. Elizabeth