M&P Soap question

ccmak

My daughter wants to make some little soaps for valentines day for her class room. We just moved to TN and I am minutes away from a supplier. My questions I have never made soaps and people are desperate I dont want some mom saying you gave my kid a rash or something...I know with candles you test till your brains explodes and your eyeballs fall out.....Is there any type of testing with M&P Soap I need to do...I wouldn't need insurance would I? Sorry for the questions...I know you need the base, Body safe colorant and FO...

Thanks for your help

Just ask the supplier for a kit to make M&P soap. That would be all you need. M&P is safe to use for most people. Its also a lot of fun making it.

You most likely only have to worry if someone has allergies to any of the ingredients in the soap base or additives you may use such as dye, fragrance oil, etc. So check the ingredients if you are worried about allergic reactions.

How old are the kids? If they are real young I wouldn't give soap to them. I've had teenagers ask if colorful soap was fudge, so I sure wouldn't trust it giving it to little kids, especially if it was a food type smell.

Provided the kids are an appropriate age, I wouldn't worry any more over sending it to school than I would be sending cookies or cupcakes for the kids. You would be just as liable sending cookies as you would be soap--and I've never seen anyone yet provide a list of ingredients with homemade cookies or cupcakes they send to school.

I think it would depend on the age of the kids, very small kids might not have a clue of what it is or appreciate it . Make sure you label it as soap. You are not selling it, it is a gift and the parents can decide if they are going to let them use it. At least that's how it works with my children.

I agree with sockmonkey, anything can be dangerous. Hard candy, cupcakes, cookies etc.

Melt n' Pour is pretty easy but if you've never done it before, get a kit, it'll give you very easy to follow instructions and help you along the way. The only testing I would really be worried about doing is taking one bar out of the batch and using it to make sure that you didn't over-dye it (I've done that) and that it gets all nice and sudsy and nice (which it should) so that the little ones enjoy it. As far as the other stuff? I agree with everyone else, label it as soap, give a full list of ingredients, and let the parents figure out if they want their kids using it.