adding lemon of orange zest

pmurphyfan

I zest lemons right over my melted base then blend them right in. I use about 1 tbs fresh lemon zest (about 1/2 of the lemon).

I don't dry it out at all. Haven't had any problems at all. I've been doing it now for about a year and a half. Haven't tried it with an orange yet thou.

I have tried all kinds of 'fresh' fruit pulp, juice, rind, milk, etc. and added it to M&P with no problems whatsoever. You just have to experiment with how much additives your base can hold before it compromises the lather or quality of the soap.

I made them today and they turned out really nice, beautiful natural color and they feel great. The only issue I had was the zest all sank to the bottom ( I ground it down after it dried out so the pieces were fairly small). I stirred and stirred and stirred before I poured :sad2: Is this unavoidable?

Suspending anything in M&P can be done but takes some practice. You want to cool your base down quite a bit before pouring into your mold. Also keep your suspension additives stirred in the base before pouring.

I stir as I am pouring and pour just as the base is cool enough it begins to form a 'skin' on top.