Need Advice Please- Reed Diffusers

Pristina

Hi fellow entrepreneurs!

I was wondering if you could please help me. I am really frustrated :mad: at this point.

I have been testing reed diffusers and I am just not happy with my results.

Here's the thing: I had bought a $7 diffuser from Kmart like 2 years ago and that little thing threw better scent than the ones i've been testing.

I have tried multiple bases: Peak, BCN, Nature's Garden, and recently Candle Science.

I have tested the following scents just recently in Candle Science's base: Pomegranate (BCN), Pearberry (CS), Sweet Pea (CS), a mix of my own scents from BCN, Strawberry Jam(BCN), Sunwashed Linen(CS) and Cranberry Marmalade (CS)- this is the only one that is throwing well.

I have high standards, I want to be able to smell the scents really well, as will my customers. I cannot be beat out by a $7 diffuser from Kmart. If i'm going to charge $15-$20 for these, they have to be good.

Can someone please help me? Direct me on an excellent base or what I need to do to get the throw of a candle with my diffusers? Or is it just not possible?

My 5oz candles throw better than these diffusers :sad2:

I am using Rattan reeds and have changed the amount of FO between 20 and 50%

I just don't know what else to do:confused:, I am at wits end with this.

Please, anyone, help

I've had the best success with the FO's that are VERY potent when smelling them out of the bottle and I'm using 1/3 FO to 2/3 capillary agent. Also using the rattan reeds. Base is from All White Candles. Hope that helps!

PS - Many members of the forum only visit here once a day so it may take 24 hours to get an answer. Please be patient if you don't get an answer right away. ;)

Edited by Judy, USMC

I did a search for you. The following lists all the threads that have already been posted on the subject. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1535219

They all have some good info but you may want to start with the 5th post from the top. Hope that helps!

Judy, what search term did you use? When clicking on the link it comes up with 'Sorry not matches. Try a different term.'

I went to the search feature and clicked "advanced". When the next screen came up I put "diffuser" in the keyword block (left side of the screen) and then highlighted "wickless" in the

search the Forum block. Hit search at the bottom of the screen and the list came up.

HTH

I spent a good 2 hours yesterday searching this board on everything that was said about the diffusers. I was looking to see if anyone else was having this problem and I really didn't find any solutions.

I know everyone uses different bases but is everyone really happy with their diffusers?

Do any of you walk in the room your diffuser is in and think wow! that smells great? Just like a candle?

If so, please let me know what you are using because I just can't seem to get that out of any concoction :sad2:

I haven't found the throw from a diffuser to be consistently comperable to that of a lit candle. Most of mine turn out to be typically a moderate air scent...

I've found diffuser placement in the room has an affect on the scent distribution. If it's around an air supply vent (where the conditioned air is blowing out) it helps circulate the aroma. But if it is placed near the air return the aroma is sucked up into the system and never makes it into the room when the Heat or air is on.

I don't expect them to scent a large room either... but it should scent a typical bedroom. As far as the crystals, I haven't seen them develope on my reeds. Now I have seen reports that some vanilla containing FOs sometimes have crystals that form in the FO bottle. Because of the possibility of the crystals forming I have avoided using vanilla or vanilla containing FOs.

It does take a while for the base/FO to suck up into the reeds so it may not start throwing for a few days. The most intense throw you can expect is after the reeds are flipped.

HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC
Added vanilla info

I use Peaks base, Candle Sciences reeds, and a mix of FO's... my FO's come from many diff suppliers. I use 50:50 base which is more expensive for me but gets the results I want. I sell kits which come with 5 reeds, 4oz of mix, and a 4oz glass container. I suggest people put 2oz in, the reeds in, wait 4 hours, flip them, wait 4 more, and flip them again. Then I suggest they flip them weekly or any time they think they need a boost.

My diffusers last 3-4 months (with the refill put in at about 2months), kinda depends on where they are stored. I advise they are always kept out of direct sunlight, and stored away from things like heater vents. In the summer they evaporate a bit quicker. I dont make them that often anymore because like you said... Kmart, Walmart, heck even the dollar store have cheap versions which IMO dont work well but if someone who doesnt know or care looks at mine for $15 and sees one for $4.00 at Wally's... they are going to go for the wally one.

I sell refills too, and the sticks.. which seems to do better because I think people take them home and use their own containers! I dont care what they do, as long as they buy them! lol.

I'm hoping they are a hit with my customers this summer... i'm banking on it... but if not, I'm discontinuing the diffusers altogether.

PS remember that we all get candle nose from time to time... one fail proof testing method of mine is to get something up (candle, diffuser, whatever) walk around the block :tiptoe:, come back.. and THEN gauge my results. Sometimes my husband comes home and his eyes are practically watering because the smell is so strong from all my testing but I cant smell a thing, LOL...:laugh2:. so remember to give your sniffer a break and revisit... or give to a friend to test! My testers always give me such amazing feedback, often they think things are WAY better than I do.. so give yourself a break and see what friends and family think! You might be surprised! Good luck with your testing!

Not too long ago, I have bought diffuser oil from Natures Garden, 1 sample of FO and the reeds (Diffuser kit with box and glass too). You need to mix it the way they state on on their website. I only bought 1 diffuser kit and absolutely loved it and the whole room was filled with fragrance for 3 months at least. I only turned the reeds once a week. I will certainly be happy with results like that when I start making mine!!!