Milk, Honey and Lavender

moon01945

I made my first batch of Milk based soap last night. I added in honey and I am questioning if it came out right. Its very dark and was still tacky this morning. But I am wondering if its a reaction between the milk, lye and honey.

I can post a picture and the recipe tonight.. I was just wondering if others had the same results.

I am sneaking on to post this during work.

Sometimes if you mix the lye directly with the milk, it'll turn brown (usually turns green for me while I'm mixing), but I've seen it turn beige-brown even when the milk was added at trace. When the milk warms up and gels it kind of discolors...I haven't seen a picture yet so I'm not sure but I've had that happen...

Don't throw it away ! It is still soap unless it zaps. You can shred it and add it to another batch or make it into little balls and add those to a "planet" soap. It doesn't look that bad to me , my last batch of OMH is nearly that dark. I once had a batch of OMH that burnt , that is ugly and stink omg.

I would wait and see if the burnt smell goes away. When the milk darkens in color, it is due to the sugars in it getting hot and giving off the smell. As the soap cures, the smell may go away. So I would not rebatch right away in case it turns out all right later. It doesn't look that bad to me - some of my soaps look like that too and they worked just fine in the shower.