2nd attempt at pillars

Tops has been helping me with leaks . Thank you Tops .So i was able to make 3 without leaks . I have not tested these yet as i just unmolded them tonight. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why I have areas that have no crystals ( I poured at 200 )and also I have a tiny hole on the bottom of the tallest.Not sure how far up this hole goes or why I have it .It wasn't there when I took it out of the mold . It appeared when I leveled it off. I did poke holes while cooling but I know I didn't go down to the bottom... I know that for sure.

post-11200-139458461664_thumb.jpg

I love the color!

Were your molds hot when you poured the candles? I find that I get the best crystallization when I heat the molds before pouring and cool them very slowly. I have an electric roaster oven and I preheat the molds in it, pour the candle and then turn the roaster off. The key to crystallization is slow cooling.

You may have an air pocket...you won't know until you burn the candle. Unless you cut it open to investigate. Since you're in the testing stages, keep a really good eye on it when you burn it. Usually it's necessary for me to poke relief holes several times with pillars. PITA with palm, but the end results are worth it.

HTH

Thanks, I love the color too. They smell great too. Seaside from MC .Yes I heated the molds . I tried to cool slowly with a box over them ( Thanks Stella for that advice) . I poked a bunch of times as well. HMMM Who knows. Could the cystallization issue be maybe I took them out of the molds to soon? thanks for your help

Can't see any uncrystal places on your candles - from here they look pretty good. Poke around in the hole with a bamboo skewer... if there's a bigger hole, the skewer will penetrate in. Sometimes you can clean it out enough to do a repour to fix the void. Poking just doesn't get it for relief holes in palm wax... gotta wreck the cooling top & center all the way down as far as you can each time you wreck...

Could the cystallization issue be maybe I took them out of the molds to soon?

Yes. While I frequently remove pillars when they still are a LITTLE bit warm, I prefer to leave them until they are almost room temp before demolding. Removing them too soon can cause deformation and other strange things to happen... :)

If there is a lot of objectionable areas in the crystalization, try pouring at 195° - sometimes it helps. During wintertime, I use a styrofoam cooler or warm oven (turned off) to cool palm pillars... :)

Can't see any uncrystal places on your candles - from here they look pretty good

You're being too kind:yay:

Poke around in the hole with a bamboo skewer... if there's a bigger hole, the skewer will penetrate in. Sometimes you can clean it out enough to do a repour to fix the void.
I can't beleive it but I just thought of that and did it .
I use a styrofoam cooler
What a great idea!

Thanks

gotta wreck the cooling top & center all the way down as far as you can each time you wreck...

You did explain this to me. Try as I might I can't seem to "wreck" it doesn't look like yours I make a mess of the bottom:confused:

They look very nice. I love palm pillars. Have fun burning them!

I agree its a PITA to make palm pillars with all the poking and wrecking. When I first started making them I would cut them in half to get an idea of how and where air pockets would appear. I did that to quite a few of them. For the most part I would get them around the wick and they would be long and tall rather than wide. But you can never be exactly sure where they would be. But after disecting them I have a much better idea of relieving the air pockets than when I first started.

• 2 weeks later...

well I can't keep a nice shell . All three and starting to melt the sides after about a week of 3 to 4 hour burns . I used CDN 14 and even 1 with a CDN 12. They are not blown out just melting. i want them like stella's photos . made another the other night will try again