FO Flash Point

The flash point isn't relevant to the wax temperature. You can use all FOs the same way regardless of the flash point.

If you have an FO with a low flash point, you can heat it to that temperature, put a match near the opening of the container, and make it go pooft. Unlike higher flash point FOs, which are no fun at all.

If that's the case, wouldn't you also be near the flashpoint of the wax? Aside from making sand candles, I don't know why anyone would want to be that hot.

I've never read anything about a certain % to the wax, but with the different waxes out there now, it's possible someone has thought that would happen, maybe with palms.

I recall reading somewhere that when selecting FOs that it's FP be within a certain perentage of a wax's working temp or risk vaporizing off a significant amount of the scent.
Do you remember where you read this, and if so, would you share the source? I wonder what is meant by a "wax's working temp"...

Understanding the definition of flash point is important - this one from Wikipedia is as good as any...

The flash point of a volatile liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air. Measuring a liquid's flashpoint requires an ignition source.
For a FOs flashpoint to become problematic, it requires an ignition source and air. There is no such ignition source nor air when added to a pot of melted wax whose temp is in excess of the FO's flash point. When FO is mixed with melted wax, it is diluted into the wax and the flashpoint would change to whatever it is for the entire mixture. Again, a source of ignition would be required for the LIQUID mixture to flash (ignite) in air.

Regarding melt & pour temps, the ideal melting/pouring temperature for your wax is dependent on the particular wax formula you are using. The FO has nothing to do with that value. Go with the manufacturer's recommendation for using their product.

I think this is a case of overthinking - certain issues have been worked out by FO manufacturers so that their products have a wide working range in commonly used candlemaking waxes. If a reputable supplier sells a FO for use with candlemaking waxes, you can be relatively assured that it has been formulated to perform satisfactorily. I have never paid any attention to flashpoints when selectng FOs for use with soy or palm wax candles and have had good success with most that I have tried. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

I think it was Candlescience that said the main reason to list it is for air mail regulations. I have wondered, though, about the recommendation to heat wax to 195ºF to "dissolve" the fragrance oil, and whether lower FP fragrances would dissolve as well at lower temperatures. No experience with this as I've never, to my knowledge, had a FO fail to blend in to the wax.

I have wondered, though, about the recommendation to heat wax to 195ºF to "dissolve" the fragrance oil

The FO is not *dissolved* by heat into the wax. It blends with the oils already present in the melted wax. Some people believe that FO mixes with wax better at higher temps. I can't speak for paraffin because I don't use it, but with soy & palm waxes, I haven't observed that the temp at which FO is added makes a noticeable difference. What does seem to make a difference is the amount of time & efficiency with which it is stirred into the wax. A few doodles with a skewer isn't gonna blend the FO as effectively as using a spoon or wire whisk and stirring gently for a full minute or so to ensure the FO is completely blended in.

recently purchased an FO with a low FP of 90
Now a flash point that low would make me wanna light the "no smoking or open flame" light when using it down here in rural Hades during the summer (assuming it ever thaws out again!). :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
the main reason to list it is for air mail regulations

Yep and not just air mail - all shipping companies are very picky about flashpoints of the chemicals they transport - and with pretty good reason.