What's your biggest/'best' doozey?

Starr

We've all had them... something that just went... WRONG! HORRIBLY WRONG! What was it? What did you do with it?

Me?

I wanted a REALLY rich, creamy, liquid bath milk. So... I sat down and started cooking something up (bad, bad idea, RUN!). I took some multibase, a ton of water, some oils (SAO, Sunflower, maybe a splash of olive... etc...), and lastly.... dry milk.

I got something that resembled Elmer's Glue. Still, I wasn't deterred. I thought maybe, if I put a small amount in a bathtub that it would dilute and be wonderful. I filled my bathtub and poured about 2 tablespoons in. It just sat there. It didn't move. It didn't disperse. There was just a blob of this white STUFF in my bathtub. I tried whooshing it around with my hands... now there's little pieces of this stuff all over the tub.

Drain the tub...

Throw away the STUFF...

Walk away...

It took at least half an hour to get the tub clean after that.

tried to make liquid soap by shaving up some CP soap and whipping it with olive oil and distilled water... for two or three days it was OK... but after about a week it smelled like death and actually tingled when I put it on my skin! Yikes.

With preservative it likely would have been OK... but I learned my lesson... much easier to just make it from scratch, lol

We've all had them... something that just went... WRONG! HORRIBLY WRONG! What was it? What did you do with it?

Me?

I wanted a REALLY rich, creamy, liquid bath milk. So... I sat down and started cooking something up (bad, bad idea, RUN!). I took some multibase, a ton of water, some oils (SAO, Sunflower, maybe a splash of olive... etc...), and lastly.... dry milk.

I got something that resembled Elmer's Glue. Still, I wasn't deterred. I thought maybe, if I put a small amount in a bathtub that it would dilute and be wonderful. I filled my bathtub and poured about 2 tablespoons in. It just sat there. It didn't move. It didn't disperse. There was just a blob of this white STUFF in my bathtub. I tried whooshing it around with my hands... now there's little pieces of this stuff all over the tub.

Drain the tub...

Throw away the STUFF...

Walk away...

It took at least half an hour to get the tub clean after that.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Too funny!!

I came home from a really long day at work and desperately wanted to create something. I had just received a batch of FOs so I decided to make some mp soap. I used about an oz of NG's Extremely Sexy for men in about 14 oz of base, then colored it bright bright red. It was soo strong that I must've burned some nose hairs. My whole house reeked of it all night. The next morning I had to put them away in a ziplock bag and tuck it in the basement. Now the smell makes me nauseous. Lesson learned: dont do things when you are already tired.

I forgot to close spigot

I've done that one too. I thought I heard water running and thought, "what is that?"

I almost cried.... And I did curse - ALOT!

Then another time I was making votives with a golden yellow liquid dye and the bottle was clogged. I squeezed the bottle a little too hard and all the dye came out in the pot. I poured it and I'm still using the wax for dye blocks. Matter of fact, I used one today for Hillbilly Homebrew...

Edited by nursenancy

I fortunately enough have never lost a whole pot of wax by forgetting about my spigot. I have lost a good 4-5oz trying to figure out what that NOISE was (especially when we were making candles on the 3rd floor and both the bathroom and kitchen were on the second).

As for the salt bars, I wonder if the heat + salt + oils didn't just make for a badness.

I squeezed the bottle a little too hard and all the dye came out in the pot. I poured it and I'm still using the wax for dye blocks. Matter of fact, I used one today for Hillbilly Homebrew...

Waste not, want not?

At least you were able to salvage your oops.