Incense Sticks in PVC tube

cwayneu

Billie (DW) has researched and added incense to our hobby list (beyond candles, CP soaps, lotions, lip balms, and bath melts). Since it is fairly easy, I made this video showing this very simple process to make your own incense sticks. I figured the costs at just under 5 cents ($0.05) per stick, which is about 1/3 to 1/4 the retail cost. Plus you can use any scent you want to try.

I felt like a dork for my first video performance (Billie has made all of the CP soap swirl videos), but then maybe I am a dork. :cheesy2: Anyway, I hope it's worth your time.

Wayne, I really like that idea for a couple reasons.

1. you can shake it and get your sticks coated really well

2. you can let them soak without having to worry about them falling over

3. It's pretty cheap

question - can you get the caps & stuff for 1 inch and larger tubes as well?

I may have to try this.. Right now I use bud vases, which is better than what I was doing, but still not great

Thanks

Wayne, I really like that idea for a couple reasons.

1. you can shake it and get your sticks coated really well

2. you can let them soak without having to worry about them falling over

3. It's pretty cheap

question - can you get the caps & stuff for 1 inch and larger tubes as well?

I may have to try this.. Right now I use bud vases, which is better than what I was doing, but still not great

Thanks

Yes, these should be standard plumbing parts for most water and small drain sizes. Certainly 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" sizes. I have not really looked specifically at 1" or larger, but would not be surprised. Just browse through your favorite hardware store. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Wayne, just wanted to thank you for the tutorial. It was a great idea and I will definately be in the hardward store later today. I just have a question about drying on the paper towels. Doesn't it absorb your fragrance? I guess as long as it doesn't absorb all the scent it would be ok but I wonder if it weakens the incense stick? Just a thought. I am just starting to make incense so I really appreciated your video. I was wonder what I was going to soak them in that would be small enough. BTW, have you made the cones? I have some on order but don't know if I will like them as well.

Thanks again and I wish you and Billie continued success in your business.

Nancy

Comical story when I went to get the supplies for this: :smiley2:

I went to one of the Ace stores on my way home from work one morning.

Asked the guy in the plumbing dept for 1 1\2" pvc tube cut in 12" lengths..He says, "well we don't really do that" I said, "well, can I pay extra to have it cut? I really need it". So they did it for me. Then I asked them for the caps for each end and the glue stuff for one end. They got those for me, and while they were thinking I was pretty weird, but getting the caps for me from the back, I went and got 5 containers of lye and put it on the counter.

The guy looks at the lye, looks at me, and says with a very worried look on his face,

"OK. What are you doing with this stuff? I said, "I don't know, my husband sent me for it." He got a little pale and really worried, then I told him what I was really doing with it.

They thought it was for pipe bombs or something!