Cream of Tartar?

Has anyone heard of this? If I had some I would try it in my soy wax to see what it does. hummmm

I've never thought of putting it in candles.. I use it for cooking from time to time (sugar cookies arent the same without it!), and I know its an ingredient in bubble bars.. what its used for in that purpose is to stabilize and prolong the foaming caused by the SLSA.

but I dont know how it would affect a candle. My main question would be how to incorporate it, its a powder so it would take alot of blending I would think.

Sharon, read what it says again. I read the word "candles" when I first saw this information on another site and have a feeling you did to. LOL!

I thought"huh, what is she talking about?" my glasses need to be changed again. So...Candies, I can understand.

never mind.:embarasse

It's really interesting that cream of tartar is a by-product of wine. This is totally unrelated to "candles" or "candies" :) but I use it to make apple juice. Throw washed, unpeeled, quartered apples in a bucket, throw in some cream of tartar, cover with boiling water for 24 hours, strain and process! Delicious! Oh yah, if it sits much longer than that, it gets winey.

It's really interesting that cream of tartar is a by-product of wine. This is totally unrelated to "candles" or "candies" :) but I use it to make apple juice. Throw washed, unpeeled, quartered apples in a bucket, throw in some cream of tartar, cover with boiling water for 24 hours, strain and process! Delicious! Oh yah, if it sits much longer than that, it gets winey.

Correct me if I am wrong, but cream of tartar is a fruit from a tree. It is found in a hard green pod, it is in individual fruits inside this pod. Grows on trees in zimbabwe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but cream of tartar is a fruit from a tree. It is found in a hard green pod, it is in individual fruits inside this pod. Grows on trees in zimbabwe.

Nope...

Potassium bitartrate, also known as potassium hydrogen tartrate, has formula KC4H5O6. It is a byproduct of winemaking.

In cooking it is known as cream of tartar. It is the potassium acid salt of tartaric acid, a carboxylic acid.

Potassium bitartrate crystallises in wine casks during the fermentation of grape juice, and can precipitate out of wine in bottle.

This crude form (known as beeswing) is collected and purified to produce the white, odorless, acidic powder used for many culinary and other household purposes.

cream of tartar is a fruit from a tree. It is found in a hard green pod, it is in individual fruits inside this pod. Grows on trees in zimbabwe.
Maybe you have this confused with tapioca or somethin' else... Largest source is from grapes.

Cream of tartar is used as a conditioning agent to stabilize lotsa stuff, most commonly egg whites in meringue, which is used in pies, candies, etc. It's also used in cream soda-style recipes, like Tammona's ginger beer recipe.

I wouldn't have thought it'd be a good additive for candles, but who knows? Wikipedia says it's also used for:

Preventing sugar syrups from crystallizing
so maybe it might also help stabilize the crystal formation in soy waxes... Try it and tell us if it blows up!!! :D Edited by Stella1952