What type of wax is this?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. The rustic look doesn't bother me at all. The throw is great ... and I'll stop & load up every time I go through Swanton.

This is just an example of a company that has decided to produce candles with the natural waxes. They don't try to tame the look with additives.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

That's for sure! No offense to anyone, but I honestly don't think I would be able to sell something like that. Perhaps I have set the standards for my own work too high. But this is getting off topic. Sorry OP!

Edited by IwantItgreen
of to off

Perhaps I have set the standards for my own work too high.

I don't think its a matter of standards, just whether you like the look or not.. I love that look but I have friends that wouldn't like it. It's not fair to say that the person who chose to make this type of candle doesn't have "high standards" just because you don't like the look. Different people like different things. Its what makes the world go around.

Edited by deb426

People get used to seeing one style of product and frequently, that's all they find acceptable. I'm like that with vanilla ice cream. :D

I like the look of palm wax votives (which these resemble more than they do soy) and I like how they burn, so it's all good to me. :yay:

Geez people! Don't get so excited! Yeah, they're rustic. No, I'm not nor are my candles, however; if these were not colored at all, I think the look would be pretty cool. I will tell you that the sides and bottom of these are as smooth as silk, and I do like that. And, that in of itself, intrigues me. Votives are a pet peeve of mine. If these are defined as rustic, so be it. They certainly sell well beyond what probably most of us are doing.

Just exploring.

Silicon molds won't make a difference in the powdery, rustic look. If anything, the soft mold will exacerbate the rusticity (is that a word?). That's more related to the pouring temperature & the addition of soy or other waxes to the palm wax. If one wants glassy or completely matte color toned votives, they should not use palm wax or something heavily blended with it unless it's poured very cool into metal, glass or china molds.

Straight palm wax votives can be buffed to a hard shine, if desired, but heavy crystals make this hard to see. Pouring cooler eliminates the crystals, but enhances jumplines & surface crazing (neither of which I find visually objectionable). Addition of soy can soften the wax to the extent that it doesn't buff.

I like the look. Too bad that others can't appreciate anything that isn't the same ol', same ol'. That just means there'll be more unique stuff for those who do. :)

Edited by Stella1952