salt and sugar

whisks

tonight, i added salt and sugar to my water before adding lye at 1 tablespoon per pound (2 tablespoons per kilo). does this sound right?

dare i also say i also tried silk and kaolin clay as well? (i haven't had a chance to soap for nearly 2 months because of a new job and was dying to try all these things....)

Welcome back to the soapmaking world!

How much salt and sugar you added depends on what you were hoping the result would be. But, I know a lot of people add salt and sugar to their soap, but at what rate depends on what they are hoping to get out of adding those ingredients.

As far as the kaolin and silk, I don't see a problem with that. I've added kaolin to soap on several occasions, gives it a nice slick feel, great for shaving!

thanks dominion.

i just followed what i read that people were doing and adding the salt at 1 tbsp ppo (to get a harder bar) and 1 tbsp ppo (to get more bubbles - i also use castor oil).

i used the clay at 1 tbsp ppo as well, although i did her someone using a much higher ratio because he had so much clay at his disposal.

the silk i used was about the size of a small cotton ball.

honestly, i wished soap didn't take so long to cure - i can wait to try this one just to see what the clay and silk lend to it....