How to wick flat bottomed molds?

Hey All. Hopefully someone will be ble to shed some suggestions that I can try...

OK, here's the deal. I usually use the sheet metal style molds and wick them in a certain way tht works for me and always has (use magnets instead of mold seal.. works really well for me).

BUT... I have some molds that are seamless aluminum and are flat on the bottom. Being aluminum, the magnets do not stick. So, I used to just use duct tape, which seemed to work fine with parafin, but since 90% of my candles are now palm, and I'm pouring at 220-230, its just too darn hot for the duct tape (molten wax just pouring out of the wick hole... gotta love it :embarasse) I have kept adding more and more tape, just can't keep it sealed.

SO.. I came here looking for suggestions. I recently got some mold plugs,, but they dont cut it either (Flat bottom + Wick Plug = teeter totter). Was thinking of cutting out some little squares of wood to raise the bottom of the mold so I can use the plug (will try as soon as I can cut the wood), but looking for other alternatives as well... if any.

Sorry so long, but I always have a hard time describing what I m thinking so go overboard a bit santa wink

TIA Everyone

I use a jar lid set upside down. Basically the same principal as your wood cut out, but I usually have all sizes of lids (from relish, mayo, tartar, etc) stuffed in the kitchen junk drawer. Who says being a pack rat isn't handy :P

See! Thats why I like this place! :grin2: NEVER would have thought of that! Thanks Satin!! (AND you saved the tree that woulda made the "stilts" :D)

Well as far as sealing the mold goes, you could skip on over to your friendly neighborhood hardware store and get some metal tape a.k.a. repair tape. I haven't tried it at 230* but I think it should work.

The taped wick could still cause a little teeter, so apart from Satin's suggestion you can lay a couple of paint stirrers parallel to make rails for your molds to sit on.

I use both the metal tape and plummers putty. I always had my palm waxes bust through the metal tape and I didn't want to have to use half a roll of it just to seal the bottom of one lousy mold. A small amount of plummers putty and two pieces of metal tape and I was good to go...no more leaks.