Beeswax candle stuck in mold

I am clearly a n00b, so I used a metal mold with beeswax (and didn't grease the mold or anything), and now it is entirely stuck in the mold. I have pulled the wick (which broke), smashed it against the counter, thrown it on the ground, and only chunks have broken out. I have given up trying to salvage the candle, and will likely just start over again if/when I get the wax out. Any suggestions? This is really annoying and I hope I didn't just waste expensive beeswax and ruin a mold...

I don't use beeswax but with paraffin you can stick the mold in the freezer for 5 minutes and it will shrink enough to slide out.

Again, not sure about the beeswax tho....

Oh yea, I forgot to mention I put it in the freezer for a bit. It clearly shrank a bit, but it still won't come out. I left it in the freezer for like half an hour too...

I imagine if it won't shrink from the cold ... you will need to heat it up and remelt it. Hopefully it's in a metal votive cup (fingers crossed) which will hold most of the wax if you've already removed some chunks.

I'm not recommending this - but - I've been known to fold a piece of aluminum foil in half, lay it on the heating plate of the coffee maker, put the metal holder on the foil and turn it on. Not the safest thing to do - but I need to do it once or twice a year.

The metal will be HOT so take it off the plate using a good thick paper towel.

Edited by Judy, USMC

Since you broke the wick off, about the only thing you can do from here is to melt the candle down. Before you use the mold again, wipe all of the left over wax from the inside, even if you have to heat it a couple of times, then spray the mold with 100% silicone spray. You can get this at your hardware store.

Don't have much experience with metal molds but I have had candles stick in my rubber molds and I know how frustrating it can be. The good thing is, you can reuse the wax!

I use metal molds for my beeswax pillars and votives. I also spray with a silicone mold release and put powdered mold release in my wax, as sometimes just the spray doesn't work. I've gotten distracted at times and forget one or the other release agents and the oven becomes your best friend to salvage your molds LOL!!

• 10 years later...

Could be your heating and pouring temperatures. Get beeswax to just melted not hot. Mine needs to be poured around 150-155° otherwise it expands too much and gets sticky. if heated beyond 170-ish it will likely stick even if cooled before pouring I find. 

For those that are in the mold already tried putting them in the freezer for a little bit to release.