Help with Tealight Candles....

Hello Gang - Newbie to the site but been making soy candles for 2 years now. Very good info on here so far. Now to my ? We have been pouring unscented clear cup teas the entire time we have been making candles. Always made sense to us because the burn time is almost double that of paraffin. OK - I have sold over 4000 tealights made with TL13 wicks, GB464 wax. I have just recently had complaints of them NOT burning good. 1 customer had 2 out of 7 that "dudded" out - like the wick died and the other said they had a very small flame and nearly died. Didn't burn all the way up either. I pour small batches - 1 # of wax makes 29 tealights. I test burn at least 1 - sometimes 2 from each batch. I burn them in cups, out of cups, yadda yadda yadda! I have never had one not burn up beautifully. Has anyone started having trouble with GB464 wax? It's the only varialble - other than the customer. Also, does anyone know of anything environmental that can affect burning other than drafts and not enough oxygen - like in some tart warmers. I was wandering if humidity levels could affect anything - because both customers were North of my location (and that is NOT a Yankee joke). I hate to ramble but I am at my witts end. The first complaint was legit but I thought a "fluke" now the 2nd complaint within 2 weeks makes me thing supplies issue. PLEASE HELP!

Jimmy & Kelly

Do you have any older wax, even something you could melt down and re-pour into a t-lite? If it burns ok then it's your wax if not it must be the wicks. They might have gotten a few smaller size wicks in your bunch. The last couple of batches of GB 435 I have gotten has set up different but haven't had any burn issues. Good luck..

I use your same combination for tea lights (GB 464 and TL 13) with no problems so far. I have been watching my FOs that require a bigger wick and those even tested out fine with the TL 13. It is a pretty small flame (which I like...I dislike the huge flames) and there is usually some wax left in the bottom of the cup. All HTP wicks do not burn up all the wax from my experience. Good luck with your testing....

Kellie

MamaTurtle.com

Doesn't necessarily have to be the wax. Occasionally you can get a bad batch of wicks or a good batch with a couple of duds in them. I've seen it happen before.

Try making a larger size candle using a different wick with the same wax. If the candle burns okay you'll know its the tea lite wicks.

I've bought wicks for tea lites that just didn't work. Bought the same wicks from another supplier and they burned great.