Allergic

RXCMAS

I am trying to find something safe for my child's hair. I can't wash her hair or oil her scalp without her in pain. She's allergic to sulfur, and alcohol, these things are found in shampoos etc. These things are causing burns on her scalp. Can anyone recommend something that might work for us?

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried soap nuts? I've used them in laundry before, but never on my hair. I found this bit of information about using them for shampoo:

Shampoo made from soapnuts is very gentle and allergen-free, and a little goes along way. To make your own soapnuts shampoo, place 8-10 soapnuts in a cotton bag, and tie the drawstring. Fill a saucepan with 3 cups of water, and boil for 12-15 minutes. Saponin is released into the water, creating an excellent natural soap. Remove the soapnut bag, and place the liquid in an empty bottle. Soapnut shampoo is not as thick as standard shampoos, and does not create as much artificial lather. Rest assured, however, that soapnut shampoo will leave your hair clean, naturally. A tip for first-time users: if your hair feels slightly dry after using soapnut shampoo, you may have used too much. Since soapnut shampoo does not produce a lot of lather, it is easy to use too much. Just remember, a little goes a long way.

Also, what about waterless shampoo powders? There are recipes you can find to make your own using ingredients like cornstarch, oatmeal powder, baking soda. You could rub some of that on her scalp and then rinse her hair.

You might consult with her pediatrician about the possibility of applying essential such as lavender or tea tree oils diluted in a carrier oil, such as jojoba or camillia oils on her scalp to help relieve symptoms of irritation.

Everything makes my scalp break out, soapnuts were the worst my scalp itched immediately when I poured it on lol. I can't use sls shampoos so I finally made a liquid shampoo with KOH. It helped me big time.

Edited by soycrazy