titanium dioxide

bluebird914

Hello everyone!! PLEASE HELP....I am at my wits end here and any help would be apreciated!! Every time I use titanium dioxide, my soap seems to separate. It has clearish (maybe gycerin-like) lines running through entire batch....giving it a kind of marbled or mottled look. I have switched from water based titanium to oil base, I have put it in beginning of process with base oils and I have put it in later...like light trace maybe. My different batches have gelled and not gelled. Nothing seems to matter because it keeps doing the same thing. The last batch I used 3/4 tsp. and added that to my 2.14 lbs of oils so I don't think I'm using too much. I really want whiter soap and am getting veerrrry confused :confused:

also, was wondering if white clay would help make a whiter soap????

I do water based TD but just before I put it in my batch I pop it in the microwave a few seconds with some water so it will disolve real good in the soap batch. If I don't do it I get specks in my soap.

Barbara AL

Edited by Barbara AL

I have this happen once in a while also. This is the one thing that I felt I wasn't able to solve on my own. Search for "crackle" in various soaping forums and make your own theories from there. Everything I have read points to TD and heat. It seems worse with touchy FO's. I've read that the addition and/or substitution of white clay will help, but I haven't any clay at the moment to try it out myself. After reading that I'm not the only one to have this happen, I'm learning to embrace the rustic crackled look.

Thanks everyone for the replies! At least now I know it's not just me having these crazy problems! I've been searching through forums for crackle but so far havent found any info yet...still looking though. I will try lowering the heat and see what happens.

Kitn, I would LOVE to hear your results on the clay :cheesy2:

• 2 weeks later...

I have found like some of the others that TD can really heat things up and can make the soap overheat. It's even worse with certain fo's. I don't insulate with any blankets or towels when I am using TD or I might cover for an hour and then remove the towel and let it do its thing until morning. Sometimes the crackle effect can be pretty cool, but I prefer nice whispy swirls!

Ann M