colorant question

Lisasoaps

Thank you so much. I would really hate to put so much work into a soap and end up having major bleeding colors. I like how they are specific for each color stating non bleeding or bleeding. I have checked a couple of other suppliers and they dont all always inform you on bleeders.

Thanks again.

You can get some nice colors with mica but the problem is its hard to mix in into M&P without you soap having color 'specks'. Not saying you can't do it-- just that it takes more trial and error to figure out a way that works for you.

I prefer liquid colorants-- FDA approved of course. I currently use the liquid soap colorants from C&S. I got the 1 oz sampler pack with about a dozen colors in it and it lasts forever. But when I make chunk or embed soaps the colors sometimes bleed or fade.

I would love to try TKB's nonbleeding liquid colorants. I hear they are really nice. I could start making embeds and multi colored chunk soaps again.

One thing that I like to do is use pearlescent white mica with the tkb glycerin dispersed dyes in clear base. So I'll color the clear base however I want, and then add the pearlescent white, which gives it a really pretty swirly shimmer. I haven't had any issues with specks when doing it that way.

ETA: Candybee, you really should try tkb's non-bleeding. I make chunk soap, swirls, embeds, and NEVER have any issues with bleeding or fading. They really do work great! :)

Edited by kestagano04

I get the best results with using liquid colorants. I use opaque soap, so bleeding would be pretty obvious, and the only time I ever had any was when I used micas. I get my colorants from the Chemistry Store. In the past I got them at a very good price from Craft Lobby, which is now Big River Wholesale. I haven't order from them as BRW--there's just something about the new set up that is unappealing to me now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrot Cake FO & others For Sale

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87535

Another thing you may want to consider is getting some vanilla stabilizer. You'll find that some fragrance oils will discolor your soap and the VS helps with that. The discoloration typically happens with FOs that have vanilla in it. Without it your soap can turn dark or a yucky brown color. Ask me how I know!:rolleyes2