melting pot for gel wax

cactusladycandles

what is a small amount? I used a regular presto pot for my gel. I only put "naked" wax/gel in the pots. I warmed a pyrex cup in the oven then poured my gel in there to add dye and FO.

That said, if it is a very small amount, I would just put the plain gel in the measuring cup and put that in the oven to melt. I've been doing that lately for tealight refills for the forever candles.

I came across small boxes of colored gel wax. I am going to use them for 8 oz jars. All I have to do is add the scent. Using the Presto Pot for such a small amount would be a waste. How long does it take to melt the gel wax in the oven? And does it get hot enough to be fully melted. I tried putting a Pyrex cup in water and heating the water, but it never fully melted and it takes too long.

Gel is next to impossible to melt using the double boiler method. I set my oven to 200 and put the pyrex measuring cup on a cookie sheet. Small amounts take maybe 30 - 45 minutes. Could be less, I just can't remember now. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I set the oven just a tad higher but not much.

I also make sure I have a thermometer in the oven to double check the temp. The oven in my old house was about 10 degrees off and that will make a difference. Just the regular oven thermometer that hangs from the rack is what I use. Sometimes I give the gel a slight stir once it's melted a fair amount. In my mind that speeds things up a little. Not sure if it actually does though.

If you can find an old Pyrex coffee pot you will be in business. I have about twelve of them all found at thrift stores and they have been in use for well over ten years as gel pots. These are the old ones that you set right on the stove.

tear the gel into small chunks, cover the bottom of the pot and start with the lowest setting. Watch the pot very carefully as small amounts melt quickly.

Sorry, sometimes when you know what you are saying you don't realize it isn't clear to everyone else :cheesy2:

Tear the gel into small chunks and place them in the bottom of the pot, then other chunks on top.... I know you figured it out LOL.

The main thing with using the old Pyrex pots is to never never leave them while melting gel and always use the low heat setting. The nice thing is, you can leave the gel in them and then simply re-heat it as needed.

Hope you are successful in finding the old pots.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of SS bowls i use for melting my gel wax, i have different sizes so i can just melt what i need. i have used these for many yrs, and just love them.. i have tried different containers, but went back to the bowls. :)