Finally got a Rustic

dayglow

I am sorry to LMAO, but dear God in Heaven, can you take a picture anywhere in your house that isn't filthy or at least crop out the crap. And it's back to the drawing board for you, so sad to say. I have looked at all your candles and most have wicks way off center. I am hoping all your candles are still in the testing stages and you haven't actually tried to sell any yet. JMO

This is my opinion. I've only been doing this for a couple of months and only trying out the new methods. I'm sure you were perfect right from day one. I also don't know how to crop out all the filth. These were taken in front of my printer, I guess thats all the filth. You are rude and discouriging. For you I won't be posting anything else on this forum. Thanks for your encouragement!

I also don't know how to crop

Your photo editing software should give you the ability to crop. You might want to try wick pins or a wick centering tool. If the wick is not perfectly centered, the pillar will not burn properly. Test burn the marble and you'll see what I mean.

e

I am sorry to LMAO, but dear God in Heaven, can you take a picture anywhere in your house that isn't filthy or at least crop out the crap. And it's back to the drawing board for you, so sad to say. I have looked at all your candles and most have wicks way off center. I am hoping all your candles are still in the testing stages and you haven't actually tried to sell any yet. JMO

hmmm. Constructive criticism always gets a better result than destructive criticism. Analyze the candle, not the environment that it is taken in. Honestly, when I'm making candles I make quite a mess, and other parts of my house get messy due to the attention the candles are getting. I don't know how many professionals are on this site, I'm definitely not one. Everyone is a critic. But since we are all starting out, it doesn't realy matter if it's a knockout candle or not, that's why a lot of us are considered newbies. We have to learn from our mistakes and even learn from our successes. That is what will make us better. Creativity comes from the heart, it's a very personal thing when you create something. We don't have to like another persons creation. But since you bring in our dear God in heaven, I think He'd prefer that you speak to Dayglow with love, respect, and build her up for her efforts, and gently express what you think she can do that would make her creation even more awesome.

Anyway, who's to say she's selling them? Maybe she likes them and just does it as a hobby and burns them for herself. That means neither your opinion or mine really matters much.

Speak the truth in love, we'll all get much better results that way!

Take care all and keep busting them out dayglow!

Analyze the candle, not the environment that it is taken in. Honestly, when I'm making candles I make quite a mess, and other parts of my house get messy due to the attention the candles are getting.

I agree that the other comment was rude, but face it, there is some truth in what she said. Sure I have my messes too, but if I'm going to take a picture, I clear out a spot to take it. This section is called the Gallery after all, and a little care could be taken before pics are posted.

e

I am speechless :shocked2:

Ok, not completely. This is about one of the rudest posts I've ever seen here! Completely uncalled for. Personally I don't consider a printer "filth", but even if there were a big mess behind it, it would be beside the point. This gallery isn't just for showing off photography, but for showing our hard work. Yes, she may need to work on her techniques and centering some, but she is trying. If we don't show our work and get CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on it, it makes it much harder to know what we still need to work on. This board is for sharing and learning, not tearing people down. JMO

Keep posting dayglow and just ignore the rude members. Some people just have a need to put other people down. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves. Whatever the reason, it has no bearing on you ;)

I agree that the other comment was rude, but face it, there is some truth in what she said. Sure I have my messes too, but if I'm going to take a picture, I clear out a spot to take it. This section is called the Gallery after all, and a little care could be taken before pics are posted.

e

Yes, it's a candle gallery. wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the "professionals" on here took "professional" pictures. I'm in retail and visuals are my thing, so you'll see my candles with a background that brings out the beauty in my candles. not everyone is me however and not everyone is you. Candles are being posted in the gallery to show off the Candles that we create, not our living or work environment. A big deal is being made out of something that is not even relevant to why Dayglow posted the candle. She was showing off her creation and hoping to get some positive feedback. #1 - do unto others... #2 - if you don't have anything nice to say...

Let's do each one of us a favor and stick to candles...that's why we're here. If you want to criticize her work space, meet up on trading spaces or something.

*thinking that I'm going to take a picture of a candle in the bathroom and post it in the gallery*

definitely need to make sure the wicks are straight, or you'll have a blow out on the side the wick is closest to. wick pins are awesome.

as far as backgrounds...

when taking pics, make sure the surface is level and clean. ( i hate when i go to the trouble to take a good pic, only to find i forgot to dust,lol!) tucking in fabric distracts from the object; the candle. all you really need is a flat surface and a piece of poster board propped up behind the object. i like white because i can easlily crop the object out of the background, to insert into any program later. then take shots at eye level. later on, try adding little accents to the bottom, like setting in a dish with rocks, flat marbles, sand, etc...candle holders...just start out simple, then work your way through..

You are a very rude person Donna. What on earth would you do if you did not have Happy Basher to dangle your puppet strings. Are you trying to rank high on the suck pole? Please do everyone here a favor and keep your rude comments on the bash board where they belong.

congrats on your rustic. I haven't pulled out a good rustics for weeks :cry2:

As for the nasty feedback, I'm pretty new here too and have never seen such hatefullness...if I had, I probably wouldn't have made another candle. Everyone here has always been kind and helpful. I'll look forward to your next pics and enjoy watching you progress.

..happy pouring

congrats on your rustic. I haven't pulled out a good rustics for weeks :cry2:

As for the nasty feedback, I'm pretty new here too and have never seen such hatefullness...if I had, I probably wouldn't have made another candle. Everyone here has always been kind and helpful. I'll look forward to your next pics and enjoy watching you progress.

..happy pouring

If you are so sensitive to what people are going to say, why on earth would you post a picture of your hard work in a public gallery for everyone to see? Why would you let a silly comment from ONE person stop you from making candles completely? If you feel good enough about your work that you could post it in a gallery for the viewing of anybody in the world who happens upon it, then you should be able to handle whatever criticisms or comments come your way, be they constructive or just honest. This is a public forum, and unfortunately we can't protect fragile egos here. You are going to meet all kinds of folks here, and some of them are occasionally going to be blunt, rude, ornery,hateful, negative etc. I may be a bitter old grandma now, but I would MUCH prefer any of those things in honesty over gushing, oohing and ahhing because I feel I need to stroke the ego of a newbie, or anyone else. But this is just me. Of course the kind hearted constructive criticism is easier to swallow, and that you will find in HUGE quantity here, but you have just learned, that there is sometimes a bitter bite to swallow too. What a waste of time, money, and energy to stop doing something you love because of the typed words of another.

You are a very rude person Donna. What on earth would you do if you did not have Happy Basher to dangle your puppet strings. Are you trying to rank high on the suck pole? Please do everyone here a favor and keep your rude comments on the bash board where they belong.

Another lurker, you must enjoy that board to read it, LOL. Why you people always bring that up is beyond me. Stating the truth is not being rude. Hard to see a candle amist all the other stuff. The printer in this case wasn't as much of a problem as the pringle can and trash can and unmade bed.

BTW, who are you? 2 posts, must have a ton to say huh?

Another lurker, you must enjoy that board to read it, LOL. Why you people always bring that up is beyond me. Stating the truth is not being rude. Hard to see a candle amist all the other stuff. The printer in this case wasn't as much of a problem as the pringle can and trash can and unmade bed.

I agree with you, and I could care less where else you post.. I don't see how it matters anyway.. The fact of the matter is, she posted pics and comments on a public board. Now when you do that it leaves you open to comments you may not want to hear. If that bothers her so much, maybe she should stop posting.

I am speechless :shocked2:

Ok, not completely. This is about one of the rudest posts I've ever seen here! Completely uncalled for. Personally I don't consider a printer "filth", but even if there were a big mess behind it, it would be beside the point. This gallery isn't just for showing off photography, but for showing our hard work. Yes, she may need to work on her techniques and centering some, but she is trying. If we don't show our work and get CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on it, it makes it much harder to know what we still need to work on. This board is for sharing and learning, not tearing people down. JMO

Keep posting dayglow and just ignore the rude members. Some people just have a need to put other people down. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves. Whatever the reason, it has no bearing on you ;)

Keep those post numbers up ducky, don't want you falling behind. You guys don't give any critisism. It's all oohs and aahs for everything posted. Now how will that help anyone? Not one person mentioned the uncentered wicks if I remember correctly, especially on the egg candles. Sure, let her go ahead and put the wicks anywhere. Going south for the winter?

Bet if someone posted a pic of a lit candle with a flame 3 feet high, no one would mention anything about it. They all qualify for the Candle Hall of Fame around here.

Keep those post numbers up ducky, don't want you falling behind. You guys don't give any critisism. It's all oohs and aahs for everything posted. Now how will that help anyone? Not one person mentioned the uncentered wicks if I remember correctly, especially on the egg candles. Sure, let her go ahead and put the wicks anywhere. Going south for the winter?

Bet if someone posted a pic of a lit candle with a flame 3 feet high, no one would mention anything about it. They all qualify for the Candle Hall of Fame around here.

Why are you so worried about my numbers? They have nothing to do with you. I saw that out of the time you've been a member, under this name anyway, you've only started three threads. All in OT and one of those the being the whiny thread about numbers.

As for not commenting on the wicks in the eggs, I didn't see that picture. I'm impatient when pictures are links and often don't open them all. Of the two I did look at I stated the one I did like and the one I didn't like. If that's "all ohhs and ahhs" so be it.

Dayglow, I really like your tilted layer. I like the color combo and the way it turned out over all. On the otherhand, I do not care for the marble color combo. I realize your trying your hand at a new technique and see no point on critiquing (sp?) the result. If you like it thats all that matters in the long run. If you were asking for opinions on the color combo, or the pattern that'd be a different story. As many people have already pointed out, the wicks are a problem that need some serious attention. If you are in need of advice on how to correct them, feel free to ask. Many here, including myself would be more than willing to try to help.

As for the uncalled for rude comments made on this thread, I really do not see how most of what was said pertain to the issue. The point of posting pics in the "Candle Gallery" is the candle, not what is in the background. I saw a printer and some papers, so what? I did not see any pringles can, trash can, or unmade bed. I had no trouble seeing the candles, but I wasn't looking for things to pick at either. I could understand the comments about the background if the pics were going into a brochure etc. Even if that were the case, the way it was said was just plain rude. This site is not about photography or housekeeping. It's about candles, which she is very new at, so cut her some slack.

As for Satins number of posts, what on earth does that have to do with anything? If you knew her at all you'd know that she doesn't say things just to "stroke egos". She does not say that she likes something if she doesn't. She always gives her honest opinion, and there have been times that it has offended people by her doing so, and paid the price.

I find it strange that someones first post (at least under that name) on this board is to agree with the person who started all this.

I agree that letting someones negative comments stop you from doing anything is just plain silly. But I understand being offended when they state their "opinions" in such a way. The whole point was to start turmoil, and they were successful.

Ok I'm ready for the attacks on me now. :rolleyes2