Sugar cookie- Oil beads on bottom of cup.

joanncat18

I made some Tarts with Sugar Coookie FO from Peaks. 6% FO added at 183 degrees. Tarts are made with 90% 4794 wax and 10% Acu Para 30 (parasoy container wax). The flash point of this FO is >200 degrees. I stirred it very well but after I poured some into a dixie cup there are some small oil beads at the bottom. Is there anything I could have done to help the FO mix better? Is this a "heavy" scent...I am assuming since it's sort of like a vanilla scent. I had this problem with one other scent so far too. Should I have added the FO at a higher temp?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

I don't use that one but some vanilla's can be harder to blend and will have to be added at a higher temp. I'd try adding it around 190 and warming the oil as the previous poster suggested. The flash point won't matter but my general rule is not to add FO to wax over 200 degrees so you don't risk losing some of your scent. Hope that helps!

I had the very same issue with Cajuns Baked Vanilla or Vanilla Bake years ago.....no matter if I shok (?) the FO bottle and then poured, I got a sugary/oily residue at the bottom of my candles....seems that after a while, they reformulated (I mentioned that to them) and then, it just wasn't the same FO any longer....go figure! I guess 1 oz. PP was too much for this FO, but even lowering the % didn't help much.

Whoda thunk there was a sugar in the FO....well maybe it wasn't "sugar" but it sure looked like it....

Let them know what you are experiencing, maybe a reformulation is in order.....?

HTH

Carrie

Whoda thunk there was a sugar in the FO....well maybe it wasn't "sugar" but it sure looked like it....

Those sugar looking crystals will dissolve back into solution, if you warm the FO and shake it up. Sometimes you have to warm it for up to 30 minutes. It's an old problem that happens with a LOT of the vanilla FOs. Very common in winter.

Do the heating as suggested above, in warm water, with the cap on the FO bottle. I always just used hot tap water. If they haven't dissolved in about 15 minutes, pour out the water and refill with the same hot tap water.

IF those don't work, try a sprinkle of vybar or UA in your mix. Sometimes that helps to bind the FO to your wax ... sometimes it doesn't ... and there is no set amount on how much to add. Just go a little bit at a time, but don't get to where you're adding more than 1/4 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp of the stuff (at least in a preblended wax.)

Edited by Scented